i don’t like springs

Elow

i don’t like springs

Post by Elow »

So, i took apart a newish bach 42 for a ultrasonic cleaning and i took apart the rotor and everything and i don’t know if the trigger is safe for our chemicals so i took it off. I thought no biggie. I have been trying for 30 minutes to put the stupid trigger back on. My fingers have so many cuts and my thumb is numb. This can’t be the right way. The main problem i’m having is the spring coming and stabbing it’s way into my lovely thumb. Please someone help me
harrisonreed

Re: i don’t like springs

Post by harrisonreed »

Yeah, there should be a tool or jig to wind and hold the spring in place under tension while you attach everything, at least that's how I've done it in gun smithing. Granted, an AKM trigger spring will take your finger off, rather than just cut it, but it's the same concept.
PSJ

Post by PSJ »

This may not help now, but one of our local techs leaves all the extra on when he replaces the springs and puts little loops on the ends like on some of the euro tubas so he doesn't have happen what is happening to you. I have had to replace a couple on my own horns because the ends were cut to fit and it was easier to put on new then kill the thumbs.
Paul

Custom Getzen Custom 3062AF - Marcinkiewicz 1
And many, many others..........
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Deepest sympathies to you and your lovely thumb in this trying time. Anything involving springs with extended Pointy Bits (waterkeys being the classic) really needs a simple tool (rod/rods with hole drilled into it bore-wise) or at least smooth-jawed pliers. Nitrile coated work gloves if things are getting really desperate.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Elow wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:42 pm So, i took apart a newish bach 42 for a ultrasonic cleaning and i took apart the rotor and everything and i don’t know if the trigger is safe for our chemicals so i took it off. I thought no biggie. I have been trying for 30 minutes to put the stupid trigger back on. My fingers have so many cuts and my thumb is numb. This can’t be the right way. The main problem i’m having is the spring coming and stabbing it’s way into my lovely thumb. Please someone help me
Don't take this the wrong way, as I'm sure the shop you work at is full of great people who are cool to be around. Springs should be pretty easy with the correct tool and know-how. Every time you post something like this I sort of get angry at the "professionals" at your shop who should be teaching you the right way to do things. Are they just standing back and laughing at you, or are they going "yeah, we don't like springs either. Usually we just put the whole thing in the tank and press the button, then take it out after a minute". Either way, they aren't doing you any favors.

You seem really motivated with instrument repair and mods. I think you could find a better spot to get mentored, and maybe do a summer apprenticeship or something.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Put a coffee straw over the end of the spring. Or the rubber tip from a bottle of rotor/key oil with the needle applicators.

Cheers,
Andy
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Get a short piece of very small diameter copper tubing at an auto supply place. Use that to maneuver the short spring wire into place.

The "professionals" in your shop probably don't know any more than you do.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Elow

Post by Elow »

Thanks for all the tips, ill try some out tomorrow
Elow

Post by Elow »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:24 pm
Don't take this the wrong way, as I'm sure the shop you work at is full of great people who are cool to be around. Springs should be pretty easy with the correct tool and know-how. Every time you post something like this I sort of get angry at the "professionals" at your shop who should be teaching you the right way to do things. Are they just standing back and laughing at you, or are they going "yeah, we don't like springs either. Usually we just put the whole thing in the tank and press the button, then take it out after a minute". Either way, they aren't doing you any favors.

You seem really motivated with instrument repair and mods. I think you could find a better spot to get mentored, and maybe do a summer apprenticeship or something.
The tech that used to teach me is still recovering from surgery so i dont really have anyone to learn from except 2 woodwind guys that arent too cool. My desk is in a different room from everyone else and all the equipment so no one really sees what i do unless i bring it in there and ask for help, but they probably couldnt do much better.
stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

Check out Ferree's Tools catalogue!

Item D49 is a "Waterkey spring installation jig" and is a horseshoe shaped narrow bore tube which fits over the end of the 2 pointy ends of the waterkey spring and allows you to fit it without any need for a blood transfusion afterwards. It can also be used for a single pointy bit. I recently replaced a Conn 88H trigger spring using it; very easy and no harm to life or limb.

The only problem is cost................................................................................$6.05!!!!!!!!!! :good:

Cheers

Stewbones
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Make your own out of that copper tubing I mentioned.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Doug Elliott wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:35 am Make your own out of that copper tubing I mentioned.
And then keep it secure in your locker, or the others will "borrow" it.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Buy 1 ft of tubing, make 3 of them.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Here is the infamous tool mentioned above. This is one from either Allied or Ferree's. I always keep several of them around (one's that I have bought and home-made models) and I try to keep one in my case to help out people at gigs. They are usually sold with one end a bit longer than the other, which some people prefer. I always trim mine so that both ends are the same length....that's just my preference.

Another trick is to use the saddle as the spring holding device. You press the spring up against the saddle in its least-tension position and then rotate it in to position for the hinge screw. It's a skill you develop after you get tired of chewing up your fingers. Stabbing your fingers with a sharp spring is a right of passage for becoming a tech......oh to be young again!

https://trombonechat.com/download/file. ... 6b9ffb5063 be young again!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Elow wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:42 pm So, i took apart a newish bach 42 for a ultrasonic cleaning and i took apart the rotor and everything and i don’t know if the trigger is safe for our chemicals so i took it off. I thought no biggie. I have been trying for 30 minutes to put the stupid trigger back on. My fingers have so many cuts and my thumb is numb. This can’t be the right way. The main problem i’m having is the spring coming and stabbing it’s way into my lovely thumb. Please someone help me
Don't you work in a repair shop??? Shouldn't you know how to do this?
Elow

Post by Elow »

WGWTR180 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:37 am
Yup, i’m learning stuff as i go. The tech who usually teaches me stuff had some wrist surgery so he’s out for a bit.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Elow wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:58 am
WGWTR180 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:37 am
Yup, i’m learning stuff as i go. The tech who usually teaches me stuff had some wrist surgery so he’s out for a bit.
Well you seem to be an authority on so many other things. :roll:
Elow

Post by Elow »

WGWTR180 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:59 am
Well you seem to be an authority on so many other things. :roll:
Not really sure what that’s supposed to mean. I’ve gotta save for college some how, and i like working in a shop instead of a wendys.

Return to “Modification & Repair”