Advantages of wooden thumb rests

Hobart

Advantages of wooden thumb rests

Post by Hobart »

Hi, I have a couple of F-attachment horns that have no actual thumb rests on the trigger, instead it's like the rods you'd find on a Conn 88H.
Now, these don't fit my hand size poorly, but would it be worth it to invest in a wooden thumb rest? I think they look nice, and I feel like I could do a little bit better in terms of where my thumb is while holding the horn.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
hornbuilder

Re: Advantages of wooden thumb rests

Post by hornbuilder »

If you want to put one on, go for it. It will change the point where your thumb comes into contact with the lever, and thus your hand position, but that could be adjusted if needed. It doesn't change the way the horn plays at all.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

hornbuilder wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:37 am If you want to put one on, go for it. It will change the point where your thumb comes into contact with the lever, and thus your hand position, but that could be adjusted if needed. It doesn't change the way the horn plays at all.
Some of the more insane among us might argue with that. I have a story for you, Matthew :twisted:
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

GabrielRice wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:54 am
hornbuilder wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:37 am If you want to put one on, go for it. It will change the point where your thumb comes into contact with the lever, and thus your hand position, but that could be adjusted if needed. It doesn't change the way the horn plays at all.
Some of the more insane among us might argue with that. I have a story for you, Matthew :twisted:
Note to the OP... If your playing is good enough that a thumbrest cover makes enough of a change in how the horn plays that you can repeatedly evaluate it.... You should already have a job playing somewhere.

My main problem with different wood/plastic covers is always keeping them in position. If they can spin it drives me nuts (not freely spin, just have any movement available at all).

Cheers,
Andy
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

I bought mine from Etsy.

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=trombone%20thumb

I had to drill it out to fit the rod and then superglue it on so it wouldn't spin and/or slip off. It works splendidly for me on my Yamaha 421G.
olivegreenink

Post by olivegreenink »

Does anyone know if there is an available replacement from a yam copy (Mack) bass to convert from the flat F lever to one that will accept these wooden ones? As a former 20-year owner of an 88H, I have been wanting to switch since I first bought the Mack.

Thank you
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

I think I know that story. 🙂
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

hornbuilder wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:51 pm

I think I know that story. 🙂
Come on, guys. The rest of us might not know the story. :idk: :frown:

Cheers

Stewbones
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass