General Questions

Beanboy128

General Questions

Post by Beanboy128 »

Hey y'all. I'm pretty new to the trombone and I just picked up a holton TR 183 bass bone coming from trumpet. I have two questions.
1. Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate on silvering a trombone
2. can I get a little wooden bit to put on the trigger. It's rubbing on my thumb the wrong way and the lead trombone at my school has one. Can you just slap one one or does someone with a degree have to do it?
Thanks!
Elow

Re: General Questions

Post by Elow »

I don’t think there’s a silver plated holton bass. Probably a reason for that. Thumb rests are easy but aren’t holtons have that yamaha style? There’s no need for it unless it hurts...? Which it shouldn’t unless you’re holding it wrong. Polishing a trombone is such a pain so be prepared to spend hours each month keeping it pretty. It’s not like a trumpet. The real question for yo my is why. If you want a pretty horn, snag up posaune’s nice yamaha and sell that 183. If you sell that 183 because it’s ugly, hit me up. I miss a single trigger
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Beanboy128 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:15 pm Hey y'all. I'm pretty new to the trombone and I just picked up a holton TR 183 bass bone coming from trumpet. I have two questions.
1. Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate on silvering a trombone
2. can I get a little wooden bit to put on the trigger. It's rubbing on my thumb the wrong way and the lead trombone at my school has one. Can you just slap one one or does someone with a degree have to do it?
Thanks!
1. $1000

2. Sure. No, you don't need a degree.
Beanboy128

Post by Beanboy128 »

Elow wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:20 pm I don’t think there’s a silver plated holton bass. Probably a reason for that. Thumb rests are easy but aren’t holtons have that yamaha style? There’s no need for it unless it hurts...? Which it shouldn’t unless you’re holding it wrong. Polishing a trombone is such a pain so be prepared to spend hours each month keeping it pretty. It’s not like a trumpet. The real question for yo my is why. If you want a pretty horn, snag up posaune’s nice yamaha and sell that 183. If you sell that 183 because it’s ugly, hit me up. I miss a single trigger
Yeah my hands are stupid large and I just kinda don’t like how they sit. I wanna try a wood thing and I think they look pretty. Also don’t get me wrong, the horn looks beautiful. My skin is just really acidic and eats away at lacquer. I would wear gloves but they’ve always made the back of my hands itch? I’m not sure why lol. Also, who’s posaune And where is he selling a trombone?
Elow

Post by Elow »

https://trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php? ... 60#p127460 Ive had to convince myself a couple times that i don’t need another trombone, but man it just is so tempting. I would recommend getting leather grips if you’re worried about your acidic hands. Silver plating is just as bad as lacquer, or even worse when you have acidic hands. Once you eat through lacquer, you can buff and relacquer, once you eat through silver plating, there’s no going back. Unless you want to spend a good amount of money every couple of years. Leather grips are the way to go.
Beanboy128

Post by Beanboy128 »

Thank you elow very cool! I will look into these leather grips. Leather grips are very uncommon in trumpet land so I wasn’t sure if they even existed for trombones.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

1. $1000

Curious as to where you came up that number?
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Beanboy128 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:48 pm Thank you elow very cool! I will look into these leather grips. Leather grips are very uncommon in trumpet land so I wasn’t sure if they even existed for trombones.
You've never seen the leather things that cover the valve cluster on a trumpet? Basically to solve the same problem for trumpet players. Eating through the valve casings can really sideline a trumpet fast.

If you have the bar style trigger, you can try putting one of those pencil grip aids on it. Or some vinyl tubing (I like Tygon brand, but most auto parts stores will have something); probably need 1/4" ID (6 mm ID). Wood is nice, but the guys who are making them charge a lot more than the cost of the pencil grip or the tubing.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Elow

Post by Elow »

Beanboy128 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:48 pm Thank you elow very cool! I will look into these leather grips. Leather grips are very uncommon in trumpet land so I wasn’t sure if they even existed for trombones.
Yup, i think leather specialities is the go to brand but i’m not sure. Kind of weird for you to not see trumpetland leather grips. I think they’re actually quite common. Olds made an entire trumpet to solve the acidic hands problem, look up olds pinto
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

hornbuilder wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:06 pm

1. $1000

Curious as to where you came up that number?
Just a basic Google search of various shops and their costs. For example, Hickeys would charge approximately $1000 to overhaul, strip, and then replate a pro silver horn without a valve. I think it's about $300 more for a single valve trombone. Anderson plating has several quotes people have posted over the last two years where it's around $700-1200 to strip buff and plate trumpets, saxophones, and trombones on trumpet herald, reddit, and other online public forums. That doesn't include any overhaul or repairs needed.

So... It would appear to cost $1000 (ball park) to strip and replate a trombone.
Beanboy128

Post by Beanboy128 »

Elow wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:41 pm
Yup, i think leather specialities is the go to brand but i’m not sure. Kind of weird for you to not see trumpetland leather grips. I think they’re actually quite common. Olds made an entire trumpet to solve the acidic hands problem, look up olds pinto
I’ve definitely seen the leather grips, just not very common. Most trumpet players where I live use silver and you can get some nasty tarnishing if you install it wrong. Most people just use gloves but like I said they make my hands itchy for some reason, so I’d rather not use them. And thanks for showing me the pinto. I am building a collection of novelty horns and this may be there soon.
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

I heard leather grips can get very nasty if you sweat alot

Return to “Modification & Repair”