Adding a valve to a TR-183 Bass Bone

Beanboy128

Adding a valve to a TR-183 Bass Bone

Post by Beanboy128 »

Hey, I'm very new to the trombone world after wanting to double from trumpet. My first trombone is a TR-183 and I have fallen in love with trombones. I love the feel of my horn but i have one problem. It only has one valve. I was wondering what would be the cheapest way to upgrade.
1. add a second valve? I'm not super familiar with this so I have no idea if this is even possible.
2. Get a 181 bell. I don't know how much they run but from a little searching I can imagine it will link fine with my slide
3. Get a whole new horn.
Have any other suggestions or comments on which is cheapest/best?
BGuttman

Re: Adding a valve to a TR-183 Bass Bone

Post by BGuttman »

Going from trumpet to bass trombone seems a bit extensive. Still, if that's what floats your boat, great!

Your options won't be cheap.

The least intrusive option is to buy a secondary valve. Holton made one that fits in the F-attachment tuning slide and acts as a dependent valve. Originally in flat E, but I believe you can get a slide to make it in Eb.

A second valve can be installed by a competent tech. Figure close to $1000 for the job.

You can probably find a good double valve bass for about the same money or just a bit more. The Benge 290 often comes at a great price. Also look for the Yamaha 612 (dependent) or 613 (independent).

There are a few things you will need to sort out for a double valve trombone:

- Do you want a dependent setup (2nd valve only works when 1st valve is used) or independent (either valve can be used by itself)?

- Do you need the second valve in flat E, Eb, or D? (Or even in some other pitch). Generally independent bass trombones will be in Eb or D with both valves pressed (some come with a set of tuning slides for each).

- Do you really need a second valve? The one note that is unavailable on a single valve bass trombone is low B natural (below the staff). In the bad old days you could pull the F-attachment tuning slide out to make the attachment in E (this option is not often available in open wrap instruments).

Good luck and feel free to ask more questions.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Beanboy128

Re: Addig a valve to a TR-183 Bass Bone

Post by Beanboy128 »

Hey, Thanks for taking the time to respond. Im new to forums in General so i hope this is how i do this. I havent been able to find anything on the conversion slide from holton. I can pull my slide to E, and would you recommend just buying a tr-181 bell section? thanks.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Holton was absorbed by another manufacturer long ago and they don't make the conversion valve any more. You'd have to find one used.

A TR-181 (independent) bell section might cost almost as much as a whole TR-181 (and possibly more than a TR-180 (dependent)). You'd have better luck trying to find a Benge 290 or Yamaha 61x.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

Or just sell the horn and buy a 181. Many players would like a 183.

Return to “Modification & Repair”