Conn bass leadpipes

Bach5G

Conn bass leadpipes

Post by Bach5G »

I see Hickey’s carries Conn .562 lead pipes. Has anyone experimented with these? They’re not inordinately expensive at $70.

I just packed up my Yam bass and sent it to Toronto to have the sticky 2nd valve looked at. I thought I might have the lead pipe pulled at the same time.

This is what Hickey’s has to say about the lead pipes:

Conn D
Trombone Leadpipe, 562 Bore - Short-Fast Taper

Features a standard large shank receiver with a faster taper than normal within a standard length pipe (approx 8.5 inches / 21.5cm). Designed for increased flexibility.

Conn B
Trombone Leadpipe, 562 Bore - Long-Slow Taper

Features a standard large shank receiver with a longer venturi and slower taper than normal. Designed to give traditional response characteristics.

Conn C
Trombone Leadpipe, 562 Bore - Short-Slow Taper

Features a standard large shank receiver with a shorter venturi and slower taper than normal. Designed for added stability. 

hornbuilder

Re: Conn bass leadpipes

Post by hornbuilder »

The C pipe is OK. The B and D are not great. IMO.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

hornbuilder wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:50 pm The C pipe is OK. The B and D are not great. IMO.
Yup, I agree.

Chris
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

hornbuilder wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:50 pm The C pipe is OK. The B and D are not great. IMO.
Haha... I have the exact opposite opinion. I found the C pipe to be unusable- the D pipe was "meh" (it's basically the "no leadpipe" option), and the B pipe was AWESOME.

I have heard that Yamaha's bass pipes are OK, but I checked out a Xeno (882OR) from my school, and felt that the leadpipe in that was garbage. Be aware that the Conn pipes are interchangeable with Edwards.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Depending on which Yamaha bass model you have it's probably best to keep the pipe in it. The 600 series and 830's seem to have got it right. That said I can't stand the insertion depth on most Yamaha basses. The 830 pipe eats mouthpiece shanks for breakfast.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
JoeStanko

Post by JoeStanko »

I disagree..the insertion depth of Yamaha leadpipes is the best I’ve found. The 830 pipe is the same as the 613H pipe and it seems few understand its design.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

One guy I know has his dang mouthpiece inserted all the way to the fancy throat ridges on his very standard yamaha bass. Way deep of a leadpipe. The newer yamaha even more so.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I've got a YBL-613H, and yes it was a bit disconcerting, but it sounds great so who cares? My 612RII probably has about 1/4" less insertion. If I recall, the King Duo Gravis leadpipe also swallows shanks.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone

Return to “Modification & Repair”