A Salute to 25 Years of Service

Crazy4Tbone86

A Salute to 25 Years of Service

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Please tip your hat in observation of the Edwards outer slide tube below for 25 years of service. The owner claims he got the horn in about 1994 or 1995 and has used it constantly ever since. You can see that this outer tube (lower) needs to be replaced and the upper inner tube also needs to be replaced. If you look at the photo carefully you can see the player's thumb mark to the left of the brace solder and the big hole where his index finger or middle finger was placed.

Three interesting things about this particular slide:

1. It is so early in Edwards history that there is no Edwards labeling on it.
2. The slide crook is gold brass (about .589 bore).....I never saw that before on an Edwards.
3. The player admitted that he wrapped up the holes with packing tape and kept playing on it for about 2 or 3 years!

https://trombonechat.com/download/file. ... ew&id=5931
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
harrisonreed

Re: A Salute to 25 Years of Service

Post by harrisonreed »

If only he had used leather grips!
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

Looks like snake oil damage to me.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

harrisonreed wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:50 pm If only he had used leather grips!
I have never used leather guards or grips, but this is substantial evidence that they certainly have a purpose!
ericcheng2005

Post by ericcheng2005 »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:43 pm Please tip your hat in observation of the Edwards outer slide tube below for 25 years of service. The owner claims he got the horn in about 1994 or 1995 and has used it constantly ever since. You can see that this outer tube (lower) needs to be replaced and the upper inner tube also needs to be replaced. If you look at the photo carefully you can see the player's thumb mark to the left of the brace solder and the big hole where his index finger or middle finger was placed.

Three interesting things about this particular slide:

1. It is so early in Edwards history that there is no Edwards labeling on it.
2. The slide crook is gold brass (about .589 bore).....I never saw that before on an Edwards.
3. The player admitted that he wrapped up the holes with packing tape and kept playing on it for about 2 or 3 years!

https://trombonechat.com/download/file. ... ew&id=5931
Wait, this is an outer tube?!?! It got mangled by the owner.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Nothing got mangled by intention or brute force. There was never any abuse of the instrument. The slide action of this tube was actually still pretty good!

This is just an example of how a person's skin chemistry combined with repeated use can wear through metal at the contact points. The entire area around the big hole is paper thin because the musician used the instrument so much.
ericcheng2005

Post by ericcheng2005 »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:54 pm Nothing got mangled by intention or brute force. There was never any abuse of the instrument. The slide action of this tube was actually still pretty good!

This is just an example of how a person's skin chemistry combined with repeated use can wear through metal at the contact points. The entire area around the big hole is paper thin because the musician used the instrument so much.
Wow!
Elow

Post by Elow »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:54 pm Nothing got mangled by intention or brute force. There was never any abuse of the instrument. The slide action of this tube was actually still pretty good!

Is there any way to find out you have acidic hands before it’s too late?
ericcheng2005

Post by ericcheng2005 »

Elow wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:17 pm

Is there any way to find out you have acidic hands before it’s too late?
Lacquer wearing off too quick? I have no clue, I do remember something about a test for sweat pH somewhere though...
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

You can check the acidity of your sweat using the pH paper available in the Chemistry lab. Just touch the paper when you are sweaty (it won't hurt you). If your sweat is under pH 5 it's pretty acidic. If it's around 6-8 that's pretty neutral.

Note that some salts can also be corrosive to metals. If you sweat a lot of sodium chloride and that sits on the horn you can start to eat through the metal. That's one reason to wipe your horn down after playing it.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

The acidity and corrosive strength of your perspiration can change with a person's age as well. When I was in college, my perspiration chewed through lacquer and silver plating (on my euphonium) very quickly. I even had a hole in the braces on a couple of my inner slides from contact with my left hand.

Now.....35 years later, it takes me a long time to even chew through lacquer. I still play every day, so it is not a matter of how much time my hands are spending on the horn.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I remember that the Saxophone Professor at Rutgers when I was there, Ralph Bowen, had acidic sweat. He ended up with holes in his horns where he held them. Some people just are that way. I have friend who plays guitar, and his strings are black after about half an hour of playing. For me it takes a month.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

tbonesullivan wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:59 am I remember that the Saxophone Professor at Rutgers when I was there, Ralph Bowen, had acidic sweat. He ended up with holes in his horns where he held them. Some people just are that way. I have friend who plays guitar, and his strings are black after about half an hour of playing. For me it takes a month.
That would be a bummer to be a saxophonist and own a Selmer Mark VI, only to have your hands chew holes through it! What does he do? Buy a student-level saxophone and just expect to get a new one every few years?
cmcslide

Post by cmcslide »

tbonesullivan wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:59 am

That would be a bummer to be a saxophonist and own a Selmer Mark VI, only to have your hands chew holes through it! What does he do? Buy a student-level saxophone and just expect to get a new one every few years?
Salt air will do it too. I know saxophone players who do exactly this for playing gigs at the beach.
Elow

Post by Elow »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:31 am
tbonesullivan wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:59 am I remember that the Saxophone Professor at Rutgers when I was there, Ralph Bowen, had acidic sweat. He ended up with holes in his horns where he held them. Some people just are that way. I have friend who plays guitar, and his strings are black after about half an hour of playing. For me it takes a month.
Would gloves work? For our school silver plated horns we always wear gloves and our 30 year old yamahas and kong’s still have no wear. There’s plenty of dents and scratches and such but no plating wear.
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

Keith Hilson of the Schmidt Music Trombone Shop wears what looks like latex exam gloves when he is testing a horn that must stay as minty as possible to sell.

Return to “Modification & Repair”