Conn 70H - Removable Leadpipe

TheConnsequence

Conn 70H - Removable Leadpipe

Post by TheConnsequence »

So I have an opportunity to convert my 70H to a removable leadpipe system. I am currently getting the inners replaced on it and the old venturi will have to be removed anyway.

Three questions for everyone:

1. Has anyone done this before for a 70H? If so, what leadpipe was your favorite?

2. Was it a success, failure, or somewhere in between?

3. Does anyone currently remember what type of brass alloy conn used in their leadpipes during the late 1930's? (I remember cartridge brass was fairly common but the leadpipe might have been different). Anyome also know of a good place who would be interested in doing a "one-off" or have a need for an 83 year old replica? I am trying to figure out how I can get a very close copy made so I could use that instead of getting the original converted to screwfit.

Thank you all! Any help is greatly appreciated.
GabrielRice

Re: Conn 70H - Removable Leadpipe

Post by GabrielRice »

Kanstul used to make a 70H copy. Or maybe one of the George Roberts leadpipes was a 70H copy. Looks like it here: https://www.hornguys.com/products/kanst ... 34bc&_ss=r

BrassArk makes a replica of the Olds George Roberts pipe, which they say is similar to a 70H. I would also consider the NY50 pipe, as the NY Bachs had narrow slides like a Conn. http://brassark.com/leadpipes.html
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

The older the horn the less likely you'll get the leadpipe intact.

That being said, I've had tremendous success using stock Bach pipes for all of my horns (Conns). I've always used a Bach 50 pipe for my 72Hs and 71H. The only time i used something different was when i bought an Edwards 3 pipe. It didn't pass muster with me.

As for finding an identical pipe for you 70H, as stated above maybe Kanstul or Brassark would have something comparable, though priceier. Bach 50 pipes are quite affordable.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

None of the copies are like the real 70H pipe. You tech can rescue the original pipe.... cut the original inner about 9" below the bottom of the pipe, make a diagonal cut at the sawn end and use pliers to grip the inner tube and then 'peel' it like an orange....it will simply peel away from the pipe...you may need to heat the solder at the top of the pipe. The pipe may be too corroded to use, but at least you tried.
If you need a new pipe it will be a search...I would look for a Callet pipe...magic in old Conns, rubbish in everything else....

Chris
TheConnsequence

Post by TheConnsequence »

That is too bad there are no straight up copies. I may end up trying out the NY50 if I an able to get one. I have a GR SS by MK drawing that I'm going to try and an MK50 in nickel as well.

It looks like Horn Guys was sold out of the 62H pipes which I figure are "close." But BrassArk may be another option. Another less preferable one is getting a custom made drawing die for 1500...

I'll definitely reference this way to remove a venturi if the person I send it to is unable. I am certain they will be able to get it out though. I believe it was out a few months ago when its inners were changed (another story in itself).

I appreciate the help everyone!
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I have a Conn 72H that I struggled to make playable (for me) for about 25 years. I did many things to customize it (reverse tuning slide, changed tuning slide crook, changed slide crook, etc...). Replacing the inner slides and changing to a removable leadpipe system was the most significant improvement I made to the horn. I use a BrassLab 85-49 leadpipe made by Chuck McAlexander with it. However, my BrassArk Seamed NY50 in yellow brass also works very well.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast

Return to “Modification & Repair”