Alternative to rotor string

Amconk

Alternative to rotor string

Post by Amconk »

I can’t find my packet of yellow rotor string. In the meantime, I found this pink nylon cord in the garage. It’s a bit thick, and a lot fabulous, but it works! I kinda dig it...
F35E5937-9DBA-45FC-ADCE-3BAFBE4DD62D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael Conkey
Southern Oregon Trombonist

-Besson Be944 Sovereign with Hagmann
-Holton TR-140 “monster” valve
-Modified Schiller 7B clone
-King 4B with custom bell
-Jin Bao Alto
bigbandbone

Re: Alternative to rotor string

Post by bigbandbone »

For years I've used braided fishing line. I have alway thought the yellow rotor string is too thick for any horns except Yamahas.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I've used 40 pound test squidding line. I had some nylon and then some polyester. Nylon tends to stretch but my polyester spool went AWOL. I think I paid under $10 for 500 yards -- about 10 lifetimes' worth.

In an emergency I used dental floss. Looked funny, but 3 years later I replaced it from shame -- it was still working fine.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I use backing line for a fly fishing line. I've got a roll of 100 yards of it. Should be good for the next 100 years of trombones plus a fly line or two.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Hey Do-It-Youselfers,

Just be careful with make-shift rotor strings. The more narrow the string, the more it cuts into metal with use. I have seen horns with severe etching on the stop arms and lever rods because the player used dental floss or narrow fish line for several years.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

40 pound test fishing line is just about the size of the Yamaha string. I also have some 50 pound test fly line leader that's about the right size as well.

According to Russ Meyer (Band Instrument Repair), a good line should be polyfilament, 40 pound test, and polyester. Monofilament would be too stiff to work properly. 40 pound test is a good compromise between strength and size. Polyester because it doesn't stretch. Your Yamaha string is multifilament and polyester; and probably 40 pound test.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

The old recommendation was 30 lb braided nylon, which used to be common fish line, but you don't see it as much.

We should measure the actual tension. I'd think it was about 3 pounds. But I don't have a string rotor to play with.

Return to “Modification & Repair”