Duo Gravis trigger split - any kits, or where to find hardware?

gdoug

Duo Gravis trigger split - any kits, or where to find hardware?

Post by gdoug »

I've got an old Duo Gravis I love, but with tiny hands absolutely no ability to play - it is just way too uncomfortable. I've got a tech I trust who is willing to do the split, provided I can find some of the required hardware. Any chance anybody can point me in the right direction?
Bonearzt

Re: Duo Gravis trigger split - any kits, or where to find hardware?

Post by Bonearzt »

Splitting the Duo-Gravis triggers requires custom fabricated levers, no "kits" are available.
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Not every tech is a good choice to do this kind of custom work. One who plays trombone is ideal because he/she will understand ergonomics. I can recommend a few techs you could send it to. Eric Edwards above is one of them. In fact, he did a Duo Gravis for me!

Where do you live?...
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
boneagain

Post by boneagain »

I agree with the above, mostly.
The designer of the Duo Gravis was a Horn player. He did the triggers the way they are because Alan Raph wanted them that way. He swapped the triggers around on mine so that both keys still mount on the original spot (I COULD switch back to the original triggers) and made new paddles. The F paddle is in saddle position of the old D paddle, which is more comfortable for most thumbs, and the middle-finger paddle is in the spot closer to the receiver. He also reversed the direction of the second valve while still keeping the string linkages. This was tricky because the stop plate had to shift 90 degrees and the relation between the end of the actuator arm and stop pin became critical (set too far one way the arm would hit the pin; set the other way the valve wouldn't open all the way.

I had pictures on the old TTF but am not posting them here because the point is not MY conversion but YOUR conversion.

ANY good tech (bone player or not) should be able to make up pieces to fit the existing saddle and fit YOUR hands. This is the right time to get some true customization.

BTW: I have seen many mini-ball conversions. That can be done, but I find the string action to be quieter and faster with paddles placed for MY finger sizes. YMMV. Sticking with the strings is one less cost item for your tech to handle.
Bart

Post by Bart »

I would certainly recommend finding a good tech for the conversion. Next to that: the Gb-lever of a Getzen 1062 can be modified (bent) to fit the Duo Gravis quite well. It can be installed in the existing saddle. Here's a picture of this modification I've seen. It will work, but nothing beats a customized trigger split obviously.
DuoGravis.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

greenbean wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:56 pm Not every tech is a good choice to do this kind of custom work. One who plays trombone is ideal because he/she will understand ergonomics. I can recommend a few techs you could send it to. Eric Edwards above is one of them. In fact, he did a Duo Gravis for me!

Where do you live?...
Thank you Sir!!
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

I can fully vouch for Eric's work. I've used him many times!
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Your tech will need to make custom parts as others have said.

There are plenty of techs to mail the horn out to who can make the custom parts but it's really best to have this done in person so the tech can specifically make it to your hands.

My local tech John Sandhagen is amazing when it comes to making custom triggers and I've had him do it to just about every instrument I've owned.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB

Return to “Modification & Repair”