Loose Lead Pipe

aasavickas

Loose Lead Pipe

Post by aasavickas »

I have a press fit lead pipe on a new horn. It feels tight when pushing it in but is loose enough that when you try to take out your mouthpiece, the lead pipe comes with it.

I tried sticky lube but that didn't help. Any way to fix it with out changing the lead pipe. I know if I expanded the end of it, it would fit better, but I don't really want to change the way it plays.

Any ideas?
Bonearzt

Re: Loose Lead Pipe

Post by Bonearzt »

Wrap the mouthpiece end with some electrical tape.
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
aasavickas

Post by aasavickas »

Makes sense. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks.
RoscoTrombone

Post by RoscoTrombone »

Bonearzt wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:26 am Wrap the mouthpiece end with some electrical tape.
When I did that I found that it dulled the sound down, there was less resonance. It took me a couple of weeks to figure out what was different so I removed it and took more care when removing the mouthpiece.

Ross
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

RoscoTrombone wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:32 am
Bonearzt wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:26 am Wrap the mouthpiece end with some electrical tape.
When I did that I found that it dulled the sound down, there was less resonance. It took me a couple of weeks to figure out what was different so I removed it and took more care when removing the mouthpiece.

Ross
Me too. I do not think you should use a soft material. I first tried with scotch tape and then when I thought that felt strange I changed to use something harder like paper to seal it tight. It gave better resonanse. I think paper is harder and does not dampen the vibrations as much as tape which is soft plastic. The horn played better after I did the change. Probably it would be even better if was a tight fit metal to metal because that paper probably reduce some vibrations and sound.

/Tom
Last edited by imsevimse on Tue May 05, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

A wrap or two of plumbers tape will do the trick for making the fit snug.

I know some techs recommend expanding the end and I've never found that to help... If anything it's changing the taper of your pipe. Just use plumbers tape for the snug fit and better seal!

You get used to it but the pipe coming out with the mouthpiece is a fact of life with loose pipes. Just make sure to hold on to the pipe and waggle the mouthpiece out when removing it. There really isn't a fix or work around.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

mrdeacon wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:29 pm A wrap or two of plumbers tape will do the trick for making the fit snug.

I know some techs recommend expanding the end and I've never found that to help... If anything it's changing the taper of your pipe. Just use plumbers tape for the snug fit and better seal!

You get used to it but the pipe coming out with the mouthpiece is a fact of life with loose pipes. Just make sure to hold on to the pipe and waggle the mouthpiece out when removing it. There really isn't a fix or work around.
The last 3 inches or so of almost all leadpipes has no taper, it is just a straight tube at the end.

Cheers,
Andy
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Ehhh. You're not wrong but that method of expanding the end of the pipe has been so inefficient for me I just don't bother doing it anymore. Maybe my tech is just bad at it? The pipe always seem to become loose again after a few months of use. That's why I just stick with plumbers tape. Cheap and easy solution.
Last edited by mrdeacon on Tue May 05, 2020 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
pompatus

Post by pompatus »

mrdeacon wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:08 pm ...That's why I just stick with plumbers rape...
Um...that’s a heck of a typo.

So, you’re saying your tech really knows how to lay pipe? ;)
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

pompatus wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:39 pm
mrdeacon wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:08 pm ...That's why I just stick with plumbers [T]ape...
Um...that’s a heck of a typo.

So, you’re saying your tech really knows how to lay pipe? ;)
TAPE TAPE TAPE!!!!!

I fixed it!!!!!!! Thanks for pointing that out haha :eek:
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Leadpipes seal at the far end inside the slide tube. Wrapping the receiver end with tape or another substance might prevent the player from being annoyed with it moving, and it might affect how the metal vibrates, but it's doubtful it would affect how airtight the seal is.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
PhilE

Post by PhilE »

My experience has been that if the lead pipe is loose at the far end ie not a firm fit inside the inner tube, the tone becomes airy and less focused and difficult to make clear articulations.

If it is a large bore tenor or bass, you can use the shank of a large shank mouthpiece to expand the end of the pipe to make it seal in the inner tube.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Except many top inner tubes are a bit smaller than .547 or .562 at the top so it has to be loose just to go in.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

PhilE wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:27 pm My experience has been that if the lead pipe is loose at the far end ie not a firm fit inside the inner tube, the tone becomes airy and less focused and difficult to make clear articulations.

If it is a large bore tenor or bass, you can use the shank of a large shank mouthpiece to expand the end of the pipe to make it seal in the inner tube.
Yeah, I should have said leadpipes are supposed to seal at the far end, but that's assuming the pipe fits correctly and isn't damaged, worn, or manufactured wrong.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
JerryY

Post by JerryY »

So, is it beneficial to just solder in place? Does soldering offer any benefit in performance/response of the instrument? Or does a properly fitting interchangeable pipe work just as well? I also had my tech tell me the medium strength lock-tite around the top of the leadpipe is acceptable to solder but isn't permanent. He said it works to keep the pipe locked in the horn. He said to use Medium only!. The High strength would be impossible to get out. I have yet to try it.
aasavickas

Post by aasavickas »

Lock-tite sounds like it will work perfectly without any of the downsides.

Thanks.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I'd rather not fix in place a "removable" leadpipe.

Why not just a few turns of Teflon tape around the top of the pipe to snug it up, and being careful to hold it in place when inserting & removing your mouthpiece? :idk:

Return to “Modification & Repair”