Olds bass bling

LeoInFL

Olds bass bling

Post by LeoInFL »

I'm able to swap tuning slides between the 2 valves on my P-24G to get Bb/F/Gb/D tuning which is great. The only downside was that having the much longer tuning slide on the 2nd valve leaves alot of the tuning slide legs exposed. I thought about adding nickel sleeves (available from the OE Thayer website) but I went another direction. I measured the outer diameter of the tuning slide legs at 15.9mm. I found carbon fiber tubing (OD 18mm, ID 16mm) for $20 on eBay.

The photo shows the carbon fiber bits installed. I just added a thick layer of tuning slide grease to prevent any potential rattling. The photo shows how much I have to extend the tuning slide from fully seated to tune the 2nd valve to Gb. The carbon fiber bits are right at 3" long.

I think it looks cool and there's practically no weight added to the horn. :good:

LeoInFL
Getzen 4047DS :
~Bousfield S
~Conn 5G | Edwards .525"
Olds P-24G : G&W Mark-1 | Wessex .555"
Melton 41 F Cimbasso : DE CB S118_L*_L16Am
Holton 77 Fr Horn : Laskey 825G

CFCA Symphony Orch
(2016-2023)
brassmedic

Re: Olds bass bling

Post by brassmedic »

What's wrong with having the tuning slide legs exposed?
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
LeoInFL

Re: Olds bass bling

Post by LeoInFL »

when i did the same swap with the Kanstul MS169 bass I had previously, the grease on the exposed tuning slide legs would get gummy after a while. another plus is that it's an easier sight reference to pull my tuning slides after taking the horn out of the case. I always push my tuning slides in when I put each horn away. I always know: my Getzen main tuning slide pull is just over an inch, the attachment is about 1/4 inch. The Olds main tuning slide is about 3/8 inch, the 1st valve stays pushed in, and now the 2nd valve I know is about 5/8 inch.
LeoInFL
Getzen 4047DS :
~Bousfield S
~Conn 5G | Edwards .525"
Olds P-24G : G&W Mark-1 | Wessex .555"
Melton 41 F Cimbasso : DE CB S118_L*_L16Am
Holton 77 Fr Horn : Laskey 825G

CFCA Symphony Orch
(2016-2023)

Return to “Modification & Repair”