Long shot: Mouthpiece modifications in Japan?

harrisonreed

Long shot: Mouthpiece modifications in Japan?

Post by harrisonreed »

I know it's a long shot. Does anyone know of any shops in Japan that can enlarge a throat on a mouthpiece?
Hawaiyan

Re: Long shot: Mouthpiece modifications in Japan?

Post by Hawaiyan »

You may want to also try Isleriche mouthpieces.
He crafts and sells his own mouthpieces. Can't remember his name, but I think he was educated in the states.

[email protected]
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Thanks guys!
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:10 am I know it's a long shot. Does anyone know of any shops in Japan that can enlarge a throat on a mouthpiece?
There's another thread about opening out mouthpieces but I can't find it. I'm in favour of it if done gradually, but there certainly wasn't any love for the procedure on this forum..
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Pre59 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:53 am
harrisonreed wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:10 am I know it's a long shot. Does anyone know of any shops in Japan that can enlarge a throat on a mouthpiece?
There's another thread about opening out mouthpieces but I can't find it. I'm in favour of it if done gradually, but there certainly wasn't any love for the procedure on this forum..
I'm well aware that there is little love for the procedure on TTF and TC, but I'm not planning on opening the mouthpiece up that much -- a little goes a looong way.

The V3 has a much smaller throat than I've played on for the last 15 years or so -- everything I've had has ranged from .283" to .300", and the V3 is something like .274". It doesn't sound like a lot but that's makes for a 7-14% smaller area in the throat from what I'm used to.

I think if I increase the throat area by 7% and see how that goes, I'll get the extra volume I'm looking for and be happy. I don't know a lot about machining, but that's like an I to a K reamer.

It'll be cool to see what these shops say here.
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

On a 11C and 12C the popular modification for the throat was .250", but the skill was getting the backbore to match the throat. The first time I took the mp home with just the throat bored, and returned after a couple of gigs to start on the backbore which was settled on after a couple more visits.
The criterion was how well the mid balanced with the low end as I remember it, and the reamer was marked with a line for that mouthpiece type.
jjenkins

Post by jjenkins »

I agree with Pre59 - the throat has to be balanced with the backbore and cup volume. If there won't be any changes made to the backbore, then I wouldn't go any larger than .276/.277 in the throat. You'll notice a difference AND you won't be left with an expensive paperweight.
Last edited by jjenkins on Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

I am fiddling around with an old Conn "Tait" model mouthpiece.. The rim id and cup depth are fairly big but with a V shape and a tiny small backbore.. Gives a unique and beautiful sound.. Dont discard the idea of balancing out a big mouthpiece with a tight throat and backbore... Or: the other way around, big throat backbore/smaller cup.. Find the right blow for it..
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I don't know how expensive it is but I've heard that Yamaha has a pretty awesome custom mouthpiece experience. Might be worth investigating while you're over there anyway!
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Matt K wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:03 pm I don't know how expensive it is but I've heard that Yamaha has a pretty awesome custom mouthpiece experience. Might be worth investigating while you're over there anyway!
I think that shop is located in Germany though :(
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Oh for real!? I just assumed it was in Japan based on comments from Doug Yeo in some of his interviews from a number of years ago from when he worked on the YBL622 and his signature piece. If you're Doug Yeo you probably do get some degree of special treatment though!
NordicTrombone

Post by NordicTrombone »

Matt K wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:17 pm Oh for real!? I just assumed it was in Japan based on comments from Doug Yeo in some of his interviews from a number of years ago from when he worked on the YBL622 and his signature piece. If you're Doug Yeo you probably do get some degree of special treatment though!
I think you’re both right, I know people who has had custom mouthpieces made in both the Atelier in Germany and in Japan :)
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Aha! I would actually be really interested in hearing about someone's direct experience. I've heard a lot but how much of it is real would be interesting. E.g. I've heard that they basically make a few solid sterling blanks and make adjustments so you can A/B on the spot w/o having it go out for plating.\
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Haha yeah, that sounds beyond expensive. I'll leave prototyping and silver blanks to people who are going to get a signature mouthpiece deal.

I remember some of the Doug Yeo blanks looked first and foremost way too heavy, but also just plain dumb looking. Seems they settled on a more normal blank in the end.

Return to “Modification & Repair”