Crafty Homebrew Solutions

FullPedalTrombonist

Crafty Homebrew Solutions

Post by FullPedalTrombonist »

One of my favorite things is seeing wildly creative things musicians have done to craft their own solutions to problems specific to them or their instruments or just more cost effective than buying an existing product.

During my semi-annual deep cleaning of my instruments I remembered when I made a counterweight out of rubber bands and a padlock, protected my hand from turning green with a foam top from a trombone stand slid over the bell/slide lock nut, quieted a wiggly trigger assembly with a hair tie, stopped a slick main tuning slide with a flashlight O ring, and recently some leather stuff that I have pictures of in the next reply:

Anyway what are your personal favorite ingenious life hacks?
FullPedalTrombonist

Re: Crafty Homebrew Solutions

On my main bass valve section I tried a neckpipe protector, but ended up liking this Horween vegetable tanned headphone holder I used to use for my studio in-ear monitors! I think it looks great and fits super well. Also pictured is the flashlight O ring for the slippery tuning slide. It saved me a whole couple dollars it’d cost me to just get a heavier slide grease.

And on my seldom played G-att neckpipe I used a cut leather boot lace that I lost the pair to as a protector. I like how homemade it looks and the leather is very soft and feels great!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FullPedalTrombonist

Tenor:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I currently use a rubber band to give my 2nd valve a bit more spring tension.

Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Gary

Post by Gary »

"Crafty Homebrew Solutions"? I thought this thread was about beer.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Gary wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:47 pm "Crafty Homebrew Solutions"? I thought this thread was about beer.
I know, man. So disappointing.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
FullPedalTrombonist

Gary wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:47 pm "Crafty Homebrew Solutions"? I thought this thread was about beer.
It can be for beer also! :lol:

My friend and I brew together occasionally and the whole brew sculpture is scrap metal and the base to a turkey deep fryer.
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

FullPedalTrombonist wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:34 am
It can be for beer also! :lol:

My friend and I brew together occasionally and the whole brew sculpture is scrap metal and the base to a turkey deep fryer.
You just have to remember which mutes you put the beer in.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
Wakawaka555

Post by Wakawaka555 »

Not a huge DIY, but I added some handlebar tape on top of the Wise Grip!

Return to “Modification & Repair”