Replating inners or New tubes?

Tbarh

Replating inners or New tubes?

Post by Tbarh »

I have a 1921 78H that needs New plating on the inners... Or should i buy New tubes? (probably needs outers also to fit New inners?)
Pros and cons?

Trond
norbie2018

Re: Replating inners or New tubes?

Post by norbie2018 »

I've read here that some have simply turned the existing tubes to make them usable.
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

norbie2018 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:33 am I've read here that some have simply turned the existing tubes to make them usable.
I dont think that would help much in this case im
afraid.. Remember that the horn are from 1921..dont think that they are chromplated actually.. Either nickel plate or solid nickel silver.. Too worn at the stocking. When lubricated they work fine, but the coarse surface wears of the lubrication..

Trond
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

Tough call here.

If they are solid nickel, then polishing the inners & inside of the outers is really your best option, and accepting that they might not stay clear for very long after.
If they are plated, then you might be able to turn them for a little more life.
Replating might be an option IF the tubes are still in good condition with no warpage or corrosion.

New tubes could also be an option if you can get precise measurements, and/or replace all four tubes.

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

AFAIK replacing .522 tubes is no longer possible, they'd have to be .525 of some flavor.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

Burgerbob wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:53 am AFAIK replacing .522 tubes is no longer possible, they'd have to be .525 of some flavor.
M&K drawing can make tubes virtually on demand, but price is an issue of course.. Besides, i would like to keep it as original as possible..
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

Bonearzt wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:34 am Tough call here.

If they are solid nickel, then polishing the inners & inside of the outers is really your best option, and accepting that they might not stay clear for very long after.
If they are plated, then you might be able to turn them for a little more life.
Replating might be an option IF the tubes are still in good condition with no warpage or corrosion.

New tubes could also be an option if you can get precise measurements, and/or replace all four tubes.

Eric
Thank You... Useful advice :good:
I suspect that it is nickel plate..
biggiesmalls

Post by biggiesmalls »

As an experiment, Aaron Chandler once had just the stockings of an ancient 4H inner slide replated for me. There were a few pits in the brass, and what I ended up with was plating over the pits. Lubricants would then build up in the pitted areas and make the slide drag. So if there are pitted areas in the stockings, don't expect great results with replating.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

I didn't know that re-plating tubes was even an option. How much does that cost? How/who does this kind of thing?

Return to “Modification & Repair”