2b "Jiggs Whigham's" slide

rmb796

2b "Jiggs Whigham's" slide

Post by rmb796 »

Hi,
I purchased a Jiggs Whigham's slide with a widened crook to mate with my 1964 King 2b bell (my original high school horn). I am not sure how to describe this but it seems to make the horn blow "tight" and restrictive as opposed to open and free. I am wondering if changing the lead pipe might help. I have never experimented with lead pipes.

This "backpressure" works great for Whigham but does't work well for me.

Any ideas? Can the leadpipe be changed? If so, where would I find a more "open" leadpipe for a King 2b?

Thanks,

Randy
Thrawn22

Re: 2b "Jiggs Whigham's" slide

Post by Thrawn22 »

Its a .491 bore, so as far as i know what ever you get will most likely have to be shaved down. Try brassark or mk drawing. Or get a cheap Bach 12 leadpipe and have it modified to fit your slide.

My 2 cents
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
Slidemo

Post by Slidemo »

The Brad Close replica 2B pipe the brassark sells is the only after market .481 pipe I've come across. It is excellent however. It does feel and sound like a 2B so perhaps might not solve your issue.

I know a guy who had a (lower leg) .491 inner tube put in the top leg to make the horn single bore and he likes it. You only need to change the inner as the outer slide is single bore and the stocking is wider on the original top leg to compensate. I don't know what he did for a lead-pipe though.

Maybe the wide slide crook is doing strange things, a good 2B plays pretty well in its stock configuration.

Good luck.
RichEKelly

Post by RichEKelly »

Kanstul made leadpipes for a .491 tube. I might still have one I didnt use.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I know 3 different people that bought the Jiggs Model and all 3 don`t like the fact that it`s incredibly tight feeling.
Too much resistance
rmb796

Post by rmb796 »

Thanks for all the replies. I may end up trying a different lead pipe.

Return to “Modification & Repair”