New mute corks

norbie2018

New mute corks

Post by norbie2018 »

Has anyone used the stick-on corks from Jo-Ral? Do they last? I need to replace the corks on my Humes & Berg cup mute. Thanks!
BGuttman

Re: New mute corks

Post by BGuttman »

Most of the replacement corks I've seen require some kind of adhesive.

I've never had any luck with film adhesives that are cmmonly available (think double faced tape). Generally you need a strong adhesive designed for cork or leather. Barge cement is one. I've also had some success with hot melt adhesive, Super Glue or cyanoacrylates aren't good.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

Cheapest way to replace cork is to buy one of these hardware store cork disks for kitchen ware, contact glue, sandpaper and a scalpel. That should last for many Mutes. Or a pip-up cork board.
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

I've found corks as a result of internet searches, and I used to use hot glue to attach them, but lately I've used Titebond wood glue; it's easy to use, easy to clean up, and it works!
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I used Gorilla Glue. Been good for a couple years now.
Instead of peeling off the old corks, just put the new corks between the old corks on fresh unglued space.
After you glue them on a rasp will do a nice job of shaping the cork.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

whitbey wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:57 am
After you glue them on a rasp will do a nice job of shaping the cork.
I used a concrete sidewalk once when I didn't have a rasp.

But a 4 way rasp is a very useful and inexpensive tool. It has coarse and fine, rounded and flat rasps in one piece.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nicholson-8 ... gL80vD_BwE
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

+1 for Gorilla Glue
quiethorn

Post by quiethorn »

norbie2018 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:01 am Has anyone used the stick-on corks from Jo-Ral? Do they last? I need to replace the corks on my Humes & Berg cup mute. Thanks!
I can testify that they do last. I've had these on a Humes & Berg cup mute for the last few years, no issues.
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

I don't use Gorilla Glue for the reason that, once opened, I have found it hardens in the container, rendering the remainder unusable. I'd say that if you want to use GG, get the smallest amount you can find, as it can become a one-use product similar to cyanoacrylate.
Current instruments:

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
quiethorn

Post by quiethorn »

Doubler wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:02 pm I don't use Gorilla Glue for the reason that, once opened, I have found it hardens in the container, rendering the remainder unusable. I'd say that if you want to use GG, get the smallest amount you can find, as it can become a one-use product similar to cyanoacrylate.
I think it's designed so that if you shake it really hard after it's hardened in the bottle, it becomes a gel again. I've always hated when glue hardens in the bottle, then I noticed the fine print on the GG bottle where it said to shake it really hard, and it surprisingly worked.
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

quiethorn wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:35 pm
Doubler wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:02 pm I don't use Gorilla Glue for the reason that, once opened, I have found it hardens in the container, rendering the remainder unusable. I'd say that if you want to use GG, get the smallest amount you can find, as it can become a one-use product similar to cyanoacrylate.
I think it's designed so that if you shake it really hard after it's hardened in the bottle, it becomes a gel again. I've always hated when glue hardens in the bottle, then I noticed the fine print on the GG bottle where it said to shake it really hard, and it surprisingly worked.
Interesting. It's been a long time since I've used it. Thanks for the info.
Current instruments:

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
Briande

Post by Briande »

I replaced some old corks last year with these and used Gorilla Glue. Humes and Berg 3 Pcs Set Cork Trombone Straight and Cup (CORK2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007H4IZ68/re ... jEbEGS6ZBB
I’m not a collector, I just have too many trombones….
King 2B. King 3B. King 3B+ w/F attachment and gold brass bell. King Duo Gravis. Getzen 1047FR. Conn 6H. Conn 48H.

Return to “Modification & Repair”