Backup bell for screw bell

JLivi

Backup bell for screw bell

Post by JLivi »

I know there's been a few posts about screw bells, but I'm thinking this is slightly different.

I've been wanting to get a screw bell for a while now, but I'm not sure the path I want to go down. I would prefer to get a backup bell so I'm not damaging my main horn (3b). I'm not sure if I want to get a straight horn, a 3bf or something a little more versatile in case I have a traveling gig that asks more of me.

A few questions to spark a discussion:
- Would you buy a backup horn/bell to have a "travel" horn? Or would you just have one horn?

- If you had a travel horn, would you buy the same horn you're used to playing, or something a little more versatile? Maybe something medium bore, or a 3bf, in my case.

- Is the idea of having a horn that you travel with a dumb idea? :-)

Lets start there.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
tbonesullivan

Re: Backup bell for screw bell

Post by tbonesullivan »

Many people have "travel horns.", or maybe one that isn't in as good condition, or is more portable. Depends entirely on what your specific playing situation is. I think with the Ralph Sauer model, he wanted something that would have no trouble fitting in the overhead compartment on a smaller domestic flight. The thing is, you also need the right case for a screw bell trombone, and few companies, if any, make one aside from the case for the Sauer.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

For a 3B?

Just get another 3B, have it cut, get the Lawler screwbell bag. That's maybe $1000 for a nice backup travel instrument.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:54 pm For a 3B?

Just get another 3B, have it cut, get the Lawler screwbell bag. That's maybe $1000 for a nice backup travel instrument.
Do I even worry about the option for a more versatile horn and get a 3bf? Or is the valve going to cause more issues with finding the right case.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

With the valve your'e stuck with the Marcus Bonna tenor screwbell case. It's a good case, it'll fit, but it's also $550 and a little bit too big for a smaller horn like that.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Jimkinkella

Post by Jimkinkella »

A travel horn is insanely convenient.
I would suggest having a second horn, just because it's really nice to have a backup.
Feel free to swap bells / slides, being able to ding a slide and pull a replacement out of the closet can be a lifesaver.
And putting the screw ring on a 3bf is a fantastic idea.
I kinda want to do that now...
Travelling with a horn is not only good for the chops, but loads of fun.
The first time I sat down at an airport bar with a violin case on my back was just great.
For parts - the Shires screw-ring is nice, but the threads are kinda tight, the Olson is very nice but a bit heavy.
The Bonna flat case is fantastic, the Basili is just ok but significantly cheaper, you can work the parts into a Pelican rifle case but it takes a bit of creativity. There are another couple of cases, every now and then you'll see a Holton, etc.
- Just saw the last post from Aidan - I say get the 3bf - they're great horns, and as you know super useful. If you're not feeling the Bonna Case I think Basili is doing custom work through Irvin Karan. Or you can work up your own with maybe a viola or bassoon case, frustrating process but can be fun.
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

Marcus Bonna has a "jazz" model screw bell case which is made for up to 8" bells.
Ndwood

Post by Ndwood »

It all depends on how much you fly and what that convenience is worth to you. When I fly it’s usually with my bass trombone and having a screw bell and Marcus Bonna case for it make a HUGE difference. But there are quite a few compact, fairly protective cases for horns with an 8" bell or smaller and it’s not that hard to get a case that size safely on a plane unless you’re on a tiny plane or it’s the day before Christmas.

The difference between how my Bach 50 played before and after the modification was pretty negligible, and like someone above said I haven’t heard of anyone who was unhappy with their horn after the conversion. BUT if you do decide to get another horn or bell section I would really recommend adding something to your arsenal that’s useful in its own right, like a 3bF. I’d also really strongly recommend looking for a Selmer Bolero. They’re the same size as a 3b but different enough to give you a new voice to use, and mine with a valve plays really well in the low register. It’s my catch-all horn I use the most for any time I play tenor trombone outside of an orchestra and it’s fantastic for pit work.
SlideBye

Post by SlideBye »

I had my Shires Colin Williams bell cut. It feels a bit different to play- neither better nor worse, just different. The size of the Bonna screw bell case is a huge difference, though. It's easier to fit in a cramped car, and the stress it relieves in a plane is worth the price for me.
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

while not related to the screwbell case I wanted to post about my recent experiences with Marcus Bonna. I recently acquired a Bonna Bass trombone case. There was a missing foot on the bottom. I emailed Bonna and get a reply quickly. when I explained my issue, they sent me a complete set of feet for the bottom (new style) for no charge. All emails were replied to promptly and it was a GREAT experience to work with a company who values customer service.

while they are expensive cases, the quality and customer support are outstanding from Marcu Bonna.
Steve

Return to “Modification & Repair”