Bass tuning slide widths

Backbone

Bass tuning slide widths

Post by Backbone »

Looking for a comparison between Bach 50 and Holton bass main tuning slide widths leg to leg. Anyone know?
mrdeacon

Re: Bass tuning slide widths

Post by mrdeacon »

In theory they are the same but in practice most of the time they're different.

I had a TR180 I swapped the original tuning slide for a 50B one and it made a significant improvement to how the horn blew.

Also depending on which model Holton it won't fit if it still has the main brace installed. My stock TR180 for example would only fit tuning slides without the brace.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Should be the same. So should all Bachs, but the last 3 horns I've had all had different spans!

It would be pretty easy to have a 50 tuning slide built to fit.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Backbone

Post by Backbone »

mrdeacon wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:25 pm In theory they are the same but in practice most of the time they're different.

I had a TR180 I swapped the original tuning slide for a 50B one and it made a significant improvement to how the horn blew.

Also depending on which model Holton it won't fit if it still has the main brace installed. My stock TR180 for example would only fit tuning slides without the brace.
Interesting. Always looking for ways to squeeze more out of my Holton. So far I have had really good results!

Return to “Modification & Repair”