Stocking wear / Conn-itis

Jimkinkella

Stocking wear / Conn-itis

Post by Jimkinkella »

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone has found any better ideas for working with vintage slide tubes with stocking wear.
The best I've found is working up a solid base of Trombontine, but on a gig it only tends to last half of a set, and the second half is a literal drag.
I know that there are a number of graphite coatings and similar, anyone have any ideas or experiences?

thanks

Jim
CharlieB

Re: Stocking wear / Conn-itis

Post by CharlieB »

That symptom is frequently caused by the lube failing prematurely due to too little clearance between the inner and outer slides at some point(s)........possibly the cause of the wear in the first place. There is no miracle lube that will fix the problem. A good slide tech can isolate the problem and repair/realign the slide to restore the clearance for the lube to work properly.
TMI to follow........
A few years ago, I sent a slow Conn 6H slide to The Slide Doctor in Georgia.(slidedoctor.com) He found that both of the slide stockings were formed slightly crooked to the inner tubes, causing the dragging; a manufacturing problem that he had also found on other Conn slides. He was able to fix the problem, and the slide now has excellent action.
Expensive, but worth every penny.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

Wear on the inner tubes is a good indication of misalignment between inner & outer slides and misshapen tubes.

Realigning & reforming the tubes helps, but once the plating is worn, we can only "band-aid" with lubes and polishing.

Replating the tubes is a dicey proposition unless they are still physically intact (RARE) and replacement is the best option to get back to a great performing slide.

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
Jimkinkella

Post by Jimkinkella »

I’ve been through the realignment process, luckily I have a couple of good techs in my area.
Unfortunately we’re talking about some fairly vintage horns, and the damage has been done.
Replacement is an option on one or 2, but I’m reluctant to modify a 90 year old unmolested horn.
The search continues....
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

I have the same problem as You, Jim... I have a 1921 Conn 78 H with a slide that is fairly aligned but with wear on the inners... Replacing innertubes means that i will need to find the exact inner diameter replacment.. An option is to also buy outer tubes from m/k drawing (rose brass bach 36 tubes) .
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I've heard that Ron Partch, the great Toronto based repair guru sometimes unsolders the inner tubes and turns them about 180 degrees before reattaching them and realigning the slide. The slide wear on old Conns usually happens on the top of the inner tubes since the weight of the outer slide when you're operating it makes for the most contact with the inners. Many of his customers have gotten years of use out of some of those old classic horns without having to replace the original parts.

Jim Scott
Jimkinkella

Post by Jimkinkella »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:52 am I've heard that Ron Partch, the great Toronto based repair guru sometimes unsolders the inner tubes and turns them about 180 degrees before reattaching them and realigning the slide. The slide wear on old Conns usually happens on the top of the inner tubes since the weight of the outer slide when you're operating it makes for the most contact with the inners. Many of his customers have gotten years of use out of some of those old classic horns without having to replace the original parts.

Jim Scott
Twisting the tubes is a great idea, and something I had done on other repairs to offset initial points of contact.
It’s amazing how many horns benefit from an initial tweak, even brand new.
Thanks for the reminder!

Return to “Modification & Repair”