Electrical tape

Landok

Electrical tape

Post by Landok »

Could a tight wrapping of electric tape on the gooseneck effect the natural vibration of the horn?
timothy42b

Re: Electrical tape

Post by timothy42b »

Landok wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:05 am Could a tight wrapping of electric tape on the gooseneck effect the natural vibration of the horn?
I do not believe so. I do not think it can damp brass vibrations anywhere near as much as your hand gripping the horn can, and that isn't that much.

Others disagree.

I once wrapped the entire bell with that self vulcanizing tool grip rubber tape, and it didn't seem to have any effect.

And then, there are those who claim to hear a difference when the rubber bumper falls off the end of your slide. Who knows?

If you're worried about lacquer wear or brass wear, I might consider nail polish instead of tape. It can be a bit hard to get the glue off later.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

My one beef with plastic electrical tape is that eventually the adhesive bleeds out from the edges and makes a gummy mess.

If you ask whether it affects vibrations, I'd guess you won't feel any difference.

I used electrical tape for years on one horn and the big problem was the adhesive bleed.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

I used to use electrical tape too, on my handslide, and not only did it get gummy, but the black tape rubbed off on my hands and it was horrible to deal with. I had to scrub my hands after every time I picked up the horn.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
SimmonsTrombone

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

I now use that medical tape that sticks only to itself. No adhesive. It also breathes.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Electrical tape would be my LAST choice! For the reasons listed above. Folks have had better results with bicycle handlebar tape, telephone cord, or — my favorite — plumbers blue masking tape.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
sporto

Post by sporto »

short answer - Yes.
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

The bit about the rubber bumpers falling off the end of the slide and changing the sound started as a joke on the old trombone-L list that predated all of the web sites. This was in the middle 90's. I know this was a joke because I was in on starting it up with several other trombonists in the NYC area. We did it because so many on that list took themselves too seriously. Kind of like today...!
===============================================
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Phone cord is another choice that doesn't have residue though it will leave a slight spiral on the lacquer from stuff that gets in between it.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

ssking2b wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:18 am The bit about the rubber bumpers falling off the end of the slide and changing the sound started as a joke on the old trombone-L list that predated all of the web sites. This was in the middle 90's. I know this was a joke because I was in on starting it up with several other trombonists in the NYC area. We did it because so many on that list took themselves too seriously. Kind of like today...!
Philip,

Hah, good one! I did not know that. It was attributed to John Kitzman and while I thought it was silly I didn't want to protest too much.

Tim
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Tennis grip tape?
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Drum stick tape is good. I like bicycle handle bar tape because you can get it in cork with feathered edges and the adhesive is narrow and minimal.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Don't do it! I have seen neckpipes nearly destroyed from being wrapped in electrical tape. Does far more damage than just leaving it alone.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

A short length of pex pipe slit down the side and slipped over the neck pipe.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

baileyman wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:54 pm A short length of pex pipe slit down the side and slipped over the neck pipe.
That's exactly what I did with my Bach 36C on the F-attachment.

You can also use 1/2" (13 mm) automotive heater hose or vinyl tubing (trade name Tygon).

There's really no reason to have to put up with the adhesive bleed from electrical tape.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
ssking2b

Post by ssking2b »

I'm using vinyl cable/wire wrap. No adhesive, not expensive, and easily put on and taken off. Here's an Amazon link

https://www.amazon.com/Inches-Polyethyl ... th=1&psc=1
XO Brass Artist - http://www.pjonestrombone.com
Corey

Post by Corey »

This is what you want if you want anything: Duck Brand 442055 Wrap-Fix Repair Tape, 1-Inch by 10 Feet, Single Roll, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B19E04/re ... ADbXGWBD63

Sticks only to itself. Yes, anything might affect the way it plays. I don’t think there’d be any discernible change in sound but I can tell that it feels different when I change my tape and play the horn “naked.” It’s not preferable either way (to me) but noticeable.

Return to “Modification & Repair”