slide repair

rmb796

slide repair

Post by rmb796 »

Hi,
Does anyone know of a good reputable repairman in the Maryland area that can fix a 60's 8H slide with some red rot on the sleeves? Also, looking for a good music store in Maryland (preferably near Bowie Maryland) where i could try out some Bach 42's and 88H.

Thanks
pfrancis

Re: slide repair

Post by pfrancis »

For trying horns Baltimore Brass. Both New and Used in the store no appointment needed.

As for the slide repair, are you saying just the outer slide over sleeves have red rot? If not, can you clarify?
rmb796

Post by rmb796 »

Thanks for the info on Baltimore Brass.
The inner slide has rough reddish spots on the sleeve. The outer seems ok.

Thanks
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

You can deal with the rough reddish spots on the inner slide stocking. Here's what I do:

Polish the reddish spots with a wadding like Nevr-Dull. Or you can use very fine steel wool like 0000 (4 nought). Do not use green Scotch Brite (320 grit) it's too coarse. If you can find a very fine Scotch Brite (1200 grit or so) that would work as well. If you use a polish, clean off any residue with alcohol. I like 90% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. The spots should become bright brass color.

Place some slide cream over the spots and rub it in. Now do your normal slide prep. You should be OK for a few months at which time you need to polish the spots again.

I have a slide that had a bare spot in the stocking for some 20 years and it still is nice and smooth.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
CheeseTray

Post by CheeseTray »

Pete Francis at Baltimore Brass

Return to “Modification & Repair”