Cleaning Exterior of Old Conn Case

bobroden

Post by bobroden »

I am doing a little restoration work for a friend on a 1935 Conn trombone case. It's typical old-time wooden construction with black material of some kind on the outside.

Today I sprayed some 409 on the outside just to clean it up a little, and was amazed at the huge amount of black that came off on my paper towel. It was way beyond just dirt, so I assume it must have been drawing the color out of the case material in some way.

So I'm wondering about two things:

1. Any idea why that happened?

2. Any best practices regarding cleaning the exteriors of old cases?
tbonesullivan

Re: Cleaning Exterior of Old Conn Case

Post by tbonesullivan »

It could be that whatever the material is, it has degraded to the point where it is easily removed. Is it leather?
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

1 part Dawn dish soap and 4-6 parts vinegar.

Good for cases, car interiors, Shower walls and glass. It is like the WD40 of cleaners.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I have an old Conn case from 1947. Same thing. The black comes off with plain water. I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I think the material (Tolex?) is deteriorating.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

You may have to spray the case with Krylon in order to get a consistent color and finish. However, for the paint to adhere properly, the 409 residue must be completely removed. Repeated sponging with water will eventually accomplish this. Then just mask the hardware with blue masking tape, and apply several light-to-medium, even coats until you get the desired result.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
bobroden

Post by bobroden »

Thanks all for these great suggestions. I found that after I let the case dry, I could rub it with a towel or my hand and not have black come off all over it, so I think that's as far as I need to take it this time around.
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

You might try some black wax-type shoe polish, the kind that comes in a small can. Of course first just try it on a small area - apply, let dry, and buff.
EmileBoync

Post by EmileBoync »

My old Conn 86Is case is toast, so Im looking for a gig bag for it, after I get it back from its refurb. It seems to be a little bit longer from bottom bow to top of bell than the standard compensating euphs. Anyone have any ideas?
sporto

Post by sporto »

"You might try some black wax-type shoe polish, the kind that comes in a small can. Of course first just try it on a small area - apply, let dry, and buff."

Worked well for me on a '36 Conn case.

Return to “Modification & Repair”