72H F crook water key?

bigbandbone

72H F crook water key?

Post by bigbandbone »

On my new to me 1963 Conn 72H bass bone I find I have to occasionally pull the F slide all the way out and turn the axe upside down to drain the "water" out of the small crook and stop the burbling. Tough to do on a tight stage. Have others encountered this problem? Has anyone put a water key on that crook? How did that work out? Any pictures?
Thanks for any and all inputs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hyperbolica

Re: 72H F crook water key?

Post by hyperbolica »

That happens on traditional wraps if you use the trigger a lot, especially if the horn is cold. I've had to do that with my 88h. It shouldn't happen once the horn is warmed up. That small bend doesn't leave a lot of room, I'm not sure you could get even a saturn in there. I'd suggest trying to get the horn warm before you start playing, if possible. This was really the biggest benefit of open wraps - all condensation drains down through the valve into the slide.
tbonesullivan

Re: 72H F crook water key?

Post by tbonesullivan »

The Yamaha "semi-open" wrap has a second tuning slide specifically to empty water out with.

In this case, just find a way to work the water around back the valve. Or get it converted to open wrap. But that would mean more headaches when in tight spaces.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone

Return to “Modification & Repair”