3B leadpipes?

Burgerbob

3B leadpipes?

Post by Burgerbob »

Hey all,

I have played the snot out of my silversonic 3B and MV 6 1/2AL combination the last couple months. I like it, and I have grown it more than any other small tenor I've had.

I'm getting to the point that I'm noticing consistent small issues (they're small or I would play something else!).

6th partial Eb is not a great note. It won't articulate or sound the way everything else around it does. Its the same with all my mouthpieces, and it doesn't happen on my other horns, so (fingers crossed) it's not me.

What are good replacements for a 3B leadpipe? I feel like this is the least destructive way to change the horn. I don't mind a blow change, I play Bachs mostly anyway.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Jimkinkella

Re: 3B leadpipes?

Post by Jimkinkella »

Brad C. takes his 32h leadpipe and fits it up to a .508.
It plays really well.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Jimkinkella wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:50 pm Brad C. takes his 32h leadpipe and fits it up to a .508.
It plays really well.
Ditto. Got one in sterling silver a few days ago, though mine is for a 500 horn. Took him awhile to get it to me but worth every penny. Just used it in a rehearsal last night and it plays great. Their description is pretty accurate. Livens up the horn but not too live, especially with the sterling.

Could be an easy fix though. 3B has a 2-piece leadpipe if I'm not mistaken. Could be something funky going on with that. A one piece pipe or just eliminating any potential gaps or odd placement inside the cork barrel could fix the issue.

EDIT: Hah, this post didn't age well. Well, it sort of did. The pipe was a great pipe but when I brought it to rehearsal it just wasn't quite as good a fit as the 354 pipe I had in the horn (I was on a YSL356G) but the guy I sold it to loves it!
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

6th partial Eb, that's not one you hear about often with 3Bs. Have you eliminated other issues such as a tiny air leak at the spit valve?
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
ExZacLee

Post by ExZacLee »

I think (not sure on this anymore) that earlier 3Bs had a one piece like the 2Bs had...

I had one modified with a Herrick 8 that I really dug - fixed a lot of the stability issues in the upper range.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Mine is definitely two piece. It's an 80s slide. Looks like I may go the 32H route, after I check the spit valve!
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Burgerbob wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:12 am Mine is definitely two piece. It's an 80s slide. Looks like I may go the 32H route, after I check the spit valve!
I have one of Brad's 32H leadpipes in my .508 Yamaha 891Z and another in my .500 Kanstul 1606. Both horns play a lot better now for me. I choose copper.

/Tom
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

It's not the spit valve! It's sealing very well. Looks like I'm getting a leadpipe. Not sure what material I would go for... I already have a sterling bell, so a sterling leadpipe might be a bit overkill.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I'd probably start with seamed yellow on such a horn
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Matt K wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:31 pm I'd probably start with seamed yellow on such a horn
Great minds think alike... That's what I just asked Brad about!
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Well, that was quick. Ordered a drawn yellow pipe for it. Consider the topic closed!
Jharp3

Post by Jharp3 »

Did the new lead pipe fix the problem? I am having a similar problem.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Yeah, the 32H leadpipe really opened up and evened out the horn. I have since played a couple stock 3Bs and they felt very tight and inconsistent compared to mine.

Return to “Modification & Repair”