how to extract screw

jrobin9

how to extract screw

Post by jrobin9 »

So, son is at MMF and called last night. The screw on his Shires Trubore where the trigger pivots broke off. It appears from the video he sent it broke at the threads with no part of the screw exposed. I had him cable tie it for now (hoping it will last a couple weeks) but any ideas how to extract that small of a screw? I've got screw extractors but nothing anywhere near that small. I'm hoping I can work it out but thought others may have had the same issue and a solution.
BGuttman

Re: how to extract screw

Post by BGuttman »

You need a screw extractor of the proper size. You won't find it at Home Depot or Lowe's, though. Maybe through a specialty shop like Votaw Tool.

It might be possible to drill a tiny hole in the screw and wedge something in the hole to drive the screw out, but that's not easy.

Good luck.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
jrobin9

Post by jrobin9 »

yeah, Im sure I'll end up sending it to the shop before I try to extract something that smal (if I can't work it out by hand)l. I'd probably end up screwing it up and needing to sleeve it and retap.
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

Do not even try, thats a royal pain, and will potentially result in damage of you cant get it. A good tech with the right tools can do it, but even then it sucks
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Just to be clear - are we talking about the screw that goes into the the valve core itself, or is it one of the screws in the linkage? If it's the former, just take it to a tech and let them sweat it. If it's the latter, my first step would be to contact Shires and see if they'll send you a replacement part (maybe send 'em a pic or two of the failed part). Someone who has a modicum of mechanical aptitude should be able to install the new part just fine.
jrobin9

Post by jrobin9 »

It's the screw that the spring pivots on. Contacting shires soon to get the part. It's about an inch long and maybe 1/16th of an inch diameter. Only about 1/4 inch or less is threaded Doubt anyone keeps those in stock.iIts what I call a screw but without a head. Basically a cylinder with a slot milled in it to put a screwdriver here is pic of one from another truebore I have.
IMG_20190703_221117_01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Ouch - the pivot pin on the saddle. Y'all are gonna need a pro for that. I was hoping it was one of the screws that thread into one of the levers. Then you could replace the lever and the screw and be on your way.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

I don't suppose there is also a screw slot on the *bottom* of that post? If so, perhaps one could turn it out from the bottom.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

When a screw breaks like that it's usually pretty easy to get out. There's no tension on it so it can be turned out fairly easily. Try two tiny screwdrivers at the same time, on both ends of what's left.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
jrobin9

Post by jrobin9 »

Never thought to look on bottom but there appears to be another slot. My eyes are old but something is there. Guess some engineer earned their money. I can't get a screwdriver to bite on the one I have but think the issue is I can't get a completely straight angle on it with the bits I have. Need a longer one to clear some tubing where the screwdriver handle gets wider Either way I think I have some options to try before making a trip to the shop. Thanks to all for the input.
LIBrassCo

Post by LIBrassCo »

baileyman wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:18 pm I don't suppose there is also a screw slot on the *bottom* of that post? If so, perhaps one could turn it out from the bottom.
This is really smart, going to start doing this to my horns.
Check out our new bass trombone doubling mouthpieces: https://www.librassco.com/broadway-bass
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Oh wow, the pivot screws are usually steel, not easy to break. But, anything is possible. Good luck getting it back up and running!
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

This is one of those times you need a repair tech that can make any part that gets destroyed while making the repair.

I had that repair done 3 decades ago. I still use the same repair guy. The conversation back then was the hot girl is the sheet music dept. Not the conversation is what kind of liniment to use.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
jrobin9

Post by jrobin9 »

Shires got rich off that. $12 part and $6 shipping...

Return to “Modification & Repair”