.508 Wide Slide Crook

Walleye

.508 Wide Slide Crook

Post by Walleye »

Does anyone make a wide slide crook for a .508 slide? Wider is better for me..

Has anyone modified a .508 slide to a wide crook? If so, did it impact tuning or how the horn played?? Many thanks
hyperbolica

Re: .508 Wide Slide Crook

Post by hyperbolica »

DJ Kennedy sold one for a while. I put one on a 10h slide and loved it. Much more comfortable. It did change the sound slightly. Made the sound a little bigger, I thought. Intonation seemed ok, but I tend to play pretty sharp.
Last edited by hyperbolica on Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

I have one on my early 16M. Ergonomically, it was either a wide crook or bending mouthpieces for me. I had the leadpipe pulled at the same time the slide was rebuilt, so it's hard to tell exactly what the effect was, but it's still very much a classic .508 Bach sound.

I did have to get some length taken out of the bell section to compensate.

Andrew
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

I got one from DJ Kennedy several years ago and put it on a 3B/F. (Sold it since) I wanted a wider slide since I'm used to Bachs (42B/36B) but also because the existing crook was pretty beat up from it's past owner, I was planning to replace it anyhow. With the original crook, I had to pull out the tuning slide way farther than I've ever had to with any other horn, the wide-glide added a bit of length so I didn't have to pull out as far. As far as the blow, I preferred it with the wide-glide - a little more open and responsive, I thought.
Walleye

Post by Walleye »

Appreciate all of the input. Looks like I’ll have to find one a give it a try.

Return to “Modification & Repair”