Conn 88HO Slide Play

jodape

Conn 88HO Slide Play

Post by jodape »

Hi,

I've noticed that my 12 year old Conn 88HO has developed some significant play between the slide inner and outer. If you put the slide into 2nd etc. then apply a bit of lateral pressure the outer will rock around the inner. I have also noticed my tone on it is significantly thinner than on other horns I have access to play.

Checking, everything appears straight and true, and I can't see any dings in the slide that would create rocking points.

Do you think that I could have worn out the inners and outers to cause this play? If so would you recommend getting the tube replaced or trying to get a new slide (in the UK, not sure how easy replacements are to get)?

Any advice, or comments greatly appreciated. I haven't come across this issue before with a trombone.
ExZacLee

Re: Conn 88HO Slide Play

Post by ExZacLee »

Hmmm... the first thing I would try is cleaning the slide really well to remove all traces of previous lubricant and then try an application of trombotine or ponds cold cream to see if this fixes the sound issue - the idea being that a thicker slide cream can't help with slide seal if that's the issue.

It may very well be an alignment issue, that's what it sounds like...
paulyg

Post by paulyg »

What you're describing sounds like the normal interaction between an outer and inner slide...

The slide is only going to ever have two contact points between the outer slide and the inner at any given time. The stockings are designed to reliably form two of those points of contact- the third is going to form a triangle with those two points, depending on what kind of pressure you are applying to the hand brace. This may be what you perceive as rocking.

Adding more lube will increase the area of the bearing surface at the stockings, and will remove any clanking sensation at the hand brace.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

"Has developed"? That's totally normal. The stockings are raised. Therefore there will be play between the inners and outers at the opposite end. There's more tolerance there. That's how a slide works.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
jodape

Post by jodape »

Thanks for your comments.

I know a little bit of play is normal, however this seems significantly more than it has been and is much more than my bass trombone slide (Holton TR181) or the other tenors in my brass band.

Will try getting a thicker lube. The brass band I play with are also trying to borrow an 88 from a neighbouring band as a like for like comparison.
afugate

Post by afugate »

jodape wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:48 pm
Do you think that I could have worn out the inners and outers to cause this play? If so would you recommend getting the tube replaced or trying to get a new slide (in the UK, not sure how easy replacements are to get)?
At a minimum you'd have to wear the chrome off the inners and you would have noticed that.

I'd look for an air leak or obstruction.

--Andy in OKC.

Return to “Modification & Repair”