Late 70s King 3B Cosmetics - What to do with Lacquer?

gdoug

Late 70s King 3B Cosmetics - What to do with Lacquer?

Post by gdoug »

I recently picked up an older King 3B for very cheap. The inner slide tubes are in great condition / slides very well, and the horn sounds AMAZING but the horn is otherwise relatively beat up. The lacquer is pretty badly scratched on bell section and there is some minor dents. The outer slide has minor oxidation on the slide crook too, which should polish off.

My tech can remove the dents no problem, but I'd like the horn to be relatively presentable. I am not into the idea of relacquering at all. My original plan was actually to apply a brush finish to the whole thing (and maybe a clear coat, or regular wash in mild dish soap), but I've also heard that removing the lacquer on these Kings can mess with the way the horn resonates, and it resonates so good right now...

What would you do in such a situation? I can live with it being "ugly" if the risk is too high, but I'd love to spruce it up a little.
BGuttman

Re: Late 70s King 3B Cosmetics - What to do with Lacquer?

Post by BGuttman »

The types of chemicals that can remove King lacquer (an epoxy) are very aggressive and dangerous to use.

Getting too aggressive with a scratch finish brush (and especially a motorized one) can easily mess with the resonance a lot more.

If you want the lacquer removed, have it done by somebody equipped to work on it.

I'd clean the horn as best as possible, removing any tarnish with a good brass polish or Nevr-Dull and use as is.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I love patina myself....
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
gdoug

Post by gdoug »

Guess I'm going to learn to love the ugly! Anything I can/should do with the scratches?

Return to “Modification & Repair”