Open Leadpipes

paulyg

Open Leadpipes

Post by paulyg » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:36 pm

Anybody know of leadpipes available that are more open than an Edwards T3? I'm hoping there are .547 pipes out there that fit the description, otherwise I might have to look at some bass slides.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
mrdeacon

Re: Open Leadpipes

Post by mrdeacon » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:10 pm

The T3 is super open. They might make a short pipe...

Sounds like you might want a bigger mouthpiece or a .547/.565 slide.
Conn 88H 1980s, Elliott XT
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott MB
whitbey

Post by whitbey » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:27 am

I was like you looking for a more open pipe several years ago. I ended up with a shorter more open pipe from Chuck M???? (recently closed shop, cannot remember name).
I still have the pipe in my drawer. It played well and was very open.
Later, my health and playing changed and I switched to a #1 sized pipe with a doubore slide.
Shorter pipes will give you a more open feel.
pompatus

Post by pompatus » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:50 pm

I, somewhat, remember hearing stories of beastly bass trombonists playing with a venturi-less leadpipe (mouthpiece receiver only) for a very open and free-blowing horn. If I remember, correctly, Charlie Vernon played that way at one point?

Hickeys sells a collection of 3 Bach 50 leadpipes with clamp fitting that includes such a venturi-less receiver at the following link:
https://www.hickeys.com/music/brass/tro ... ovable.php

Hickeys also has just the single clamp-fit receiver for 42 or 50 model slides at the following link:
https://www.hickeys.com/music/brass/tro ... ovable.php

I would imagine a tech would be able to remove the clamp and mount the threaded collar of your choice, to fit your slide. Your tech might even be able to modify an existing leadpipe by removing everything past the mouthpiece receiver, if the need for a more free-blowing slide calls for such a thing.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:27 pm

Vernon used to have NO leadpipe. There was a special CV mouthpiece that had no taper.

Return to “Modification & Repair”