Slide box

bigbandbone

Slide box

Post by bigbandbone »

Hi all,
I need to ship a repaired slide to my FL address. Does anybody have a Slide Doctor box that they could share pictures and dimensions of?
Thanks in advance
Matt K
Verified

Re: Slide box

Post by Matt K »

I've got one, I'll try to remember to update w/ pics but feel free to bug me tomorrow if I forget.
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

I have one with many miles on it.
You can buy the box and its cardboard carton from The Slide Doctor for $30 plus shipping.
https://slidedr.com/product/box-order-slide-repair/

Or, to make a copy............
Two pieces of 1/4" thick plywood, each 8" x 37"
Perimeter frame of 3/4" x 1 1/2" pine, on edge between the plywood sheets.
All fasteners are countersunk flat head wood screws.
Interior; 1/2' thick foam sheet, top and bottom, with a third 1/2" foam sheet cut to trombone slide shape and sandwiched between the upper and lower sheets.

I don't know if all shippers require the wooden box to be encased in a cardboard carton. ???
My Slide Doctor box came to me in a snug fitting cardboard carton. I always wondered why the carton was required, but I used it anyway.
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Express package services such as UPS, FedEx, and USPS use rubber impregnated belts and bare handed sorters, loaders, and delivery drivers. Bare wood can tear up the belts and leave splinters in bare hands. It is unlikely that these carriers will accept a raw wood box.

OTH, it is easy to fold cardboard over each end and around the body. Mark the ends “OPEN HERE” and don’t tape the ends to where the body has to be exposed. It isn’t the end of the world if you do “lock it” with tape.

Double boxing as Slide Dr boxes are designed is the preferred packaging method.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
SteveFoote

Post by SteveFoote »

Slide Dr has a YT video showing how he does it. Check his website.
King 3B Silver Sonic, Olds Opera, Conn 72H
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

SteveFoote wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:36 am Slide Dr has a YT video showing how he does it. Check his website.
Thanks, that’s a big help!
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

Matt K wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:09 pm I've got one, I'll try to remember to update w/ pics but feel free to bug me tomorrow if I forget.
Would you measure it and give me the dimensions? Thanks
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

:good: Yep! Got your message been running errands left and right I’m on my way home and I can get you the specs
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Inside the box (where the slide would go) is 35 3/4” long and 6.5” wide. Depth is about 1 3/4” but the entire volume is foam with the exception of 32” in the center which only has two layers of foam instead of 3. The “middle” layer has two foam strips approximately 6” in length. These are to be cut out (he has instructions in the box) so that it can cradle the slide and eliminate motion.

The wood box itself is 37 1/4” long and 8” wide and 2” tall.

The cardboard box is also about 37.25” long but 8.5” wide and 6” deep. Immune comes with about 1.75” of thick styrofoam to sandwich the wooden case in.
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

Matt K wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:41 pm Inside the box (where the slide would go) is 35 3/4” long and 6.5” wide. Depth is about 1 3/4” but the entire volume is foam with the exception of 32” in the center which only has two layers of foam instead of 3. The “middle” layer has two foam strips approximately 6” in length. These are to be cut out (he has instructions in the box) so that it can cradle the slide and eliminate motion.

The wood box itself is 37 1/4” long and 8” wide and 2” tall.

The cardboard box is also about 37.25” long but 8.5” wide and 6” deep. Immune comes with about 1.75” of thick styrofoam to sandwich the wooden case in.

Thanks!
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

WOW! I just bought a 4’X2’ piece of quarter inch good on one side plywood for the sides of this slide box I’m building. $17.99. Ouch!!!
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

bigbandbone wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:55 pm WOW! I just bought a 4’X2’ piece of quarter inch good on one side plywood for the sides of this slide box I’m building. $17.99. Ouch!!!
Perhaps you should build several slide boxes, and sell the extras? :idk:
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

OP here. I just wanted to thank everyone for their input. It made this project a lot easier!

Just a big FYI. The United States Post Office does not require a wooden box to be covered with cardboard. So When the time comes I will be shipping the homemade slide box via US Parcel Service.

Thanks again!

Return to “Modification & Repair”