Splitting Duo Gravis Levers

trombinstharry

Splitting Duo Gravis Levers

Post by trombinstharry »

Hey all, does anybody know where I can go to split the levers on an old Duo Gravis? Is this something any local repair should could do? I'm in the central Florida area, so preferably near here, but I'm open to going a little distance to do this.
OneTon

Re: Splitting Duo Gravis Levers

Post by OneTon »

Oberloh In Seattle has done some. You could also talk to BAC in Kansas City, Missouri, or Noah Gladstone at Brass Ark. it isn’t rocket science but you need to find a technician that is comfortable with the task. Some are. Some aren’t.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
boneagain

Post by boneagain »

You might find helpful notes in this thread:

https://trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php?t=14841
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

Here is a photo of a split trigger conversion done by Oberloh in Seattle on a Reynolds bass I used to own. His work is excellent. I also have a former student who is letting his SS Duo Gravis [with split triggers] go due to health issues if you might have any interest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

2bobone wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:24 pm Here is a photo of a split trigger conversion done by Oberloh in Seattle on a Reynolds bass I used to own. His work is excellent. I also have a former student who is letting his SS Duo Gravis [with split triggers] go due to health issues if you might have any interest.
Oh nice! Did Oberloh add that brace too? Whenever I see a Reynolds Contempora I worry about how securely attached the bell is, particularly if you wanted to put a mute in or something. They are nice horns, especially if you get the trigger split and a D Crook made.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

Yeah. Oberloh added the brace and did a beautiful job of it, too. Very artistic work ! Attached is another of the setup that shows the "G" lever and adjustable shoe he fabricated. I once owned a Conn 70H that had a Reynolds double trigger unit fitted and it was very sturdy even without the elegant Oberloh brace.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

I forgot the "D" slide that Oberloh also fabricated !
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

2bobone wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:12 pm I forgot the "D" slide that Oberloh also fabricated !
Oh boy that IS nice. I often wish I was more into vintage instruments so I could have one set up like that. My first bass trombone was from the 1990s so it came ready to go, though earlier versions had a single trigger and only came with an Eb crook.

How did the horn play?
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

The Reynolds is one of the slickest looking horns ever. I love that wrap.
slidefunk

Post by slidefunk »

trombinstharry wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:49 pm Hey all, does anybody know where I can go to split the levers on an old Duo Gravis? Is this something any local repair should could do? I'm in the central Florida area, so preferably near here, but I'm open to going a little distance to do this.
www.sweeneybrass.com

SweeneyBrass in Raleigh, NC is a little closer than the other shops listed, though at least a days drive from Florida. Scott does great custom work.
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

I know Todd at Cadence Music in Ft Myers has done it.
bellend

Post by bellend »

Hi,

here's a few pictures to give you ideas , I've had these for many years and my memeory is not always the best but I believe this mod was actually done by Charles? McCracken then man who designed the Duo Gravis in the first place.

I think he said he'd wished he'd made the rotors turn in the opposite direction to help with popping.

BellEnd
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

bellend wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:44 pm Hi,

here's a few pictures to give you ideas , I've had these for many years and my memeory is not always the best but I believe this mod was actually done by Charles? McCracken then man who designed the Duo Gravis in the first place.
George McCracken.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King

Return to “Modification & Repair”