Antique finish

Post Reply
Amconk
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:30 am
Location: 97524

Antique finish

Post by Amconk » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:15 pm

I played around today with an old Wessex bell I’ve put on a frankenbone. I did several coats of oxpho blue and then buffed with 0000 steel wool and polished with some Nu-Finish. I’m pretty pleased with how it looks. What do you guys think?
880359C5-1051-496A-8116-50E1F59C49FC.jpeg
880359C5-1051-496A-8116-50E1F59C49FC.jpeg (3.31 MiB) Viewed 2223 times
3D96D957-D0F7-44F3-9399-5E78AE65AC03.jpeg
3D96D957-D0F7-44F3-9399-5E78AE65AC03.jpeg (4.08 MiB) Viewed 2223 times
578FCD14-68FE-464E-B034-C075FD208CE8.jpeg
578FCD14-68FE-464E-B034-C075FD208CE8.jpeg (2.88 MiB) Viewed 2223 times
Michael Conkey
Southern Oregon Trombonist

-Besson Be944 Sovereign with Hagmann
-Holton TR-140 “monster” valve
-Modified Schiller 7B clone
-King 4B with custom bell
-Jin Bao Alto
Doubler
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:56 pm

Re: Antique finish

Post by Doubler » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:22 pm

Interesting. It has that boutique manufacturer look. You've done a careful job of it.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
Ted
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:40 am

Re: Antique finish

Post by Ted » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:34 am

Any ideas on how this will age?
Bonearzt
Posts: 607
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:40 am
Location: My Dungeon of Hell....Actually Texas
Contact:

Re: Antique finish

Post by Bonearzt » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:36 am

I'm diggin it!!!

I'm trying to find a dye combo that will give that hue to new lacquer!
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair
972.795.5784

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
User avatar
noordinaryjoe
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:01 am
Location: Northeast PA

Re: Antique finish

Post by noordinaryjoe » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:05 am

Bonearzt wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:36 am
I'm diggin it!!!

I'm trying to find a dye combo that will give that hue to new lacquer!
Looks great! - as for longevity, could that now be lacquered over to preserve it as-is? Oxpho blue is intended for cold-bluing steel, right? Did you know how it would react with brass? (assuming it was yellow brass, originally?)
Yamaha YBL-612R II
YSL-651
Schiller Heritage Bb/C (YSL-350C clone)
EAMB, Pirate
bigbandbone
Posts: 524
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:45 am

Re: Antique finish

Post by bigbandbone » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:50 am

I'd take that on stage anytime! Nice job.
Amconk
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:30 am
Location: 97524

Re: Antique finish

Post by Amconk » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:55 pm

noordinaryjoe wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:05 am
Bonearzt wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:36 am
I'm diggin it!!!

I'm trying to find a dye combo that will give that hue to new lacquer!
Looks great! - as for longevity, could that now be lacquered over to preserve it as-is? Oxpho blue is intended for cold-bluing steel, right? Did you know how it would react with brass? (assuming it was yellow brass, originally?)
I tried brass black, and I didn’t like how it turned out. I did a little research and found some pics online and guys had good results with the oxpho blue on brass. Plus it’s a cream formula so it’s a lot easier to work with. It was gold brass to start with.
Michael Conkey
Southern Oregon Trombonist

-Besson Be944 Sovereign with Hagmann
-Holton TR-140 “monster” valve
-Modified Schiller 7B clone
-King 4B with custom bell
-Jin Bao Alto
Mamaposaune
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:48 pm
Location: Central Jersey

Re: Antique finish

Post by Mamaposaune » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:56 pm

I have a few questions for Michael since I'm think of trying this out. One, did you polish the brass first, or apply the Oxpho over tarnish?
Second, how much would you estimate would be needed for an entire trombone? (I see it comes in 4oz bottles and isn't cheap)
Third, did you polish with the steel wool between each coat?
Finally, does it slow down the tarnishing?
Amconk
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:30 am
Location: 97524

Re: Antique finish

Post by Amconk » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:42 am

Mamaposaune wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:56 pm
I have a few questions for Michael since I'm think of trying this out. One, did you polish the brass first, or apply the Oxpho over tarnish?
Second, how much would you estimate would be needed for an entire trombone? (I see it comes in 4oz bottles and isn't cheap)
Third, did you polish with the steel wool between each coat?
Finally, does it slow down the tarnishing?
1. I polished it first. Not to a mirror finish, mind you, but clean and bright.

2. I believe I bought a 4 oz bottle and I used about 2/3 of it. Probably 2 to do a whole horn.

3. Yes, I buffed with 0000 steel wool between coats. It helps even it out.

4. Not sure yet on the slow down of tarnishing! I have noticed that place where I grab the bell frequently is starting to darken up some...

Hope that helps!

Michael
Michael Conkey
Southern Oregon Trombonist

-Besson Be944 Sovereign with Hagmann
-Holton TR-140 “monster” valve
-Modified Schiller 7B clone
-King 4B with custom bell
-Jin Bao Alto
Mamaposaune
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:48 pm
Location: Central Jersey

Re: Antique finish

Post by Mamaposaune » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:01 pm

Yes, that was helpful. Thanks!
User avatar
noordinaryjoe
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:01 am
Location: Northeast PA

Re: Antique finish

Post by noordinaryjoe » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:49 am

Amconk wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:42 am
Mamaposaune wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:56 pm
I have a few questions for Michael since I'm think of trying this out. One, did you polish the brass first, or apply the Oxpho over tarnish?
Second, how much would you estimate would be needed for an entire trombone? (I see it comes in 4oz bottles and isn't cheap)
Third, did you polish with the steel wool between each coat?
Finally, does it slow down the tarnishing?
1. I polished it first. Not to a mirror finish, mind you, but clean and bright.

2. I believe I bought a 4 oz bottle and I used about 2/3 of it. Probably 2 to do a whole horn.

3. Yes, I buffed with 0000 steel wool between coats. It helps even it out.

4. Not sure yet on the slow down of tarnishing! I have noticed that place where I grab the bell frequently is starting to darken up some...

Hope that helps!

Michael
Any update on how this is holding up over time? (getting pretty close to trying it out myself)

Thanks,
-Joe
Yamaha YBL-612R II
YSL-651
Schiller Heritage Bb/C (YSL-350C clone)
EAMB, Pirate
Post Reply

Return to “Modification & Repair”