Monster Oil Trombone Slide Cream

posaunebone

Monster Oil Trombone Slide Cream

Post by posaunebone »

I just saw that they now offer what appears to be something similar to the Yamaha purple bottle stuff. Anyone tried this yet?

Monster Trombone Slide Cream Lubricant | Take Better Care of your Instrument https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KYSHS45/re ... xCb3S4BYXS

Also, does anyone have any general opinions of their lineup over something like hetman or ultra pure?
jchiang9

Re: Monster Oil Trombone Slide Cream

Post by jchiang9 »

I use their line of valve oils for my euphonium. I like it! I find it builds up gunk a lot slower than hetmans. The tuning slide grease was a little thin for me. But I like think goopy stuff on my slides!

Haven't tried their slide cream though.
BHolleyBrass

Post by BHolleyBrass »

I've been hoping they'd make this stuff for years. My shop gets Hetman, UltraPure, and Yamaha stuff for free (through the store) for my repair shop to use, but I changed to Monster about six months ago for my XO euphonium and haven't looked back. It handily outlasts the other valve oils. I'd say it's worth a shot. So much that I'm ordering some now...
S.E. Shires Ralph Sauer Tenor
AR Resonance ML GR1 72
BHolleyBrass

Post by BHolleyBrass »

It's sort of like they mixed Trombotine and Yamaha (Yamasnot) together and put it in a valve oil bottle with a slightly larger aperture. So far, my Shires is liking it better than Trombotine, UltraPure, and Super Slick. The feel (after I figured out how much to use) is similar to the Yamaha. I'll update again if anything changes.
S.E. Shires Ralph Sauer Tenor
AR Resonance ML GR1 72
TheSheriff

Post by TheSheriff »

BHolleyBrass wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:20 am It's sort of like they mixed Trombotine and Yamaha (Yamasnot) together and put it in a valve oil bottle with a slightly larger aperture. So far, my Shires is liking it better than Trombotine, UltraPure, and Super Slick. The feel (after I figured out how much to use) is similar to the Yamaha. I'll update again if anything changes.
=====

Thanks for the report.

=====
Lawler model 1
Lawler model 2
Lawler Model 3
Williams 6
Williams L
Kanstul 1606
Conn 71H
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

This stuff is apparently so new that it doesn't appear listed on the Monster Oil Website (http://www.MonsterOil.net). :idk: [Though it appears to be hidden, bundled in a "Trombone Care and Cleaning Kit"]
I guess if I want the slide cream separately, I'll have to buy from Amazon (I actually use Smile.Amazon.com, so that part of my purchase goes to my favorite charity) - I don't need the full kit!

But I did enjoy Monster Oil's "Usage and Tips" page:
http://www.monsteroil.net/usage-and-tips/
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

The instructions on the Monster Oil site say to apply it DAILY "along the inner slide -- then work the lube in by moving the slide up and down a few times". From my perspective there are a couple of things wrong with this. But in any event, at this point in time, and given how well the Superslick/Superslick Plus/spray bottle routine works for me (and I sure don't have to do anything DAILY except spray it now and then with the water/Hetman's Hydroslide mix), I'm inclined to pass on trying this. At least pending more reports.

(I did like the Yamaha slide lube, but the Superslick approach works a lot better for me and doesn't wash off like the Yamaha lube seemed to. Maybe the Monster Oil slide lube is more in the Yamaha tradition -- though I don't recall needing to apply it daily.)
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, M&K GR Nickel leadpipe
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
Article7

Post by Article7 »

Never seen it on their store before but I was running low on lube and ordered a bottle
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Article7 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:30 pm Never seen it on their store before but I was running low on lube and ordered a bottle
Please let us know how you like it (or don't).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

BGuttman wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:33 pm Please let us know how you like it (or don't).

I threw in a bottle of Monster Trombone Slide Cream Lubricant with my latest Smile.Amazon.com order yesterday ($7.95). When received, I'll try it on a few trombones (I have some older ones) and report. :idk:
SimmonsTrombone

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

I got mine and was surprised that there was no suggested usage either with the product or on the website. I sent an email and quickly got a reply - use a little with a light spray of water. I tried a pea sized drop on each stocking of my Elkhart 88h, worked it in with the outers and gave a light spray of water. Seemed to work just fine for the 30 minutes I was able to practice. We’ll see about longevity.
BflatBass

Post by BflatBass »

ghmerrill wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:28 pm The instructions on the Monster Oil site say to apply it DAILY "along the inner slide -- then work the lube in by moving the slide up and down a few times". From my perspective there are a couple of things wrong with this. But in any event, at this point in time, and given how well the Superslick/Superslick Plus/spray bottle routine works for me (and I sure don't have to do anything DAILY except spray it now and then with the water/Hetman's Hydroslide mix), I'm inclined to pass on trying this. At least pending more reports.

(I did like the Yamaha slide lube, but the Superslick approach works a lot better for me and doesn't wash off like the Yamaha lube seemed to. Maybe the Monster Oil slide lube is more in the Yamaha tradition -- though I don't recall needing to apply it daily.)
I use this method too. Always have. But of all the other trombone players in the 3 bands I'm in, I'm the only one with a water spray bottle at rehearsals and concerts. Back when I was playing when I was younger (early '80's), everyone had a water spray bottle.
I've also found that when I'm behind and the slide get's a little dry and I don't have time to clean and re-lube with cream, I can just run a couple of beads of Yamaha slide lube on each stocking and it goes from a 6 to a 10 and lasts a few days before I need to clean and re-lube with cream again. So I always keep the Yamaha lube in my case for emergencies.

Robert
I dream of the day that the world will be healthy enough that I can play in a live ensemble again.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Or you could take the approach of another guy I've played with: Basically never clean your horn or slide or mouthpiece. At every rehearsal or performance, apply Slide-O-Mix to the slide. Then you're done. He's also in his 80s, and I suspect that this technique is just a kind of transference from using slide oil in the days of his youth to now using Slide-O-Mix. In the past two years I've seen him clean his mouthpiece once -- which is easy to notice because it removes the black coating of coffee from the inside of the bowl.

There is definitely a range of approaches to slide lubrication. :?
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, M&K GR Nickel leadpipe
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I got a bottle of this to try after reading this thread and I find it to be a bit thicker than Yamaha or SOM Rapid Comfort. I prefer either of those to this. Just too thick for my taste.

Return to “Maintenance”