Using Slide Lubricant

Gary

Using Slide Lubricant

Post by Gary »

With apologies to Trevor, I already forgot, so. .

I just bought an Urbie Green Model Trombone and would like to know the best lubricant to use on the slide.

Also, (how fundamental can you get? :eek: ), do I use a water spray with it?

Thanks, Gary
BGuttman

Re: Using Slide Lubricant

Post by BGuttman »

If you bought this used, find out what the previous owner used.

If you are going to change, make sure to clean the inside of the outer slide and outside of the inner slide very well.

There are a bunch of excellent lubricants out there. Everybody has their personal favorite. If there was only one, we'd all be using it.

I have a personal affection for UltraPure. Others like Yamaha Slide Lubricant. Still others like Slide-O-Mix. And don't forget Trombotine and Superslick.

I use water spray to "refresh" the lube. If the water doesn't last, it probably needs a new applicaton of lube. Many Slide-O-Mix users feel that water is not needed. Depends on how well the slide moves.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Gary

Post by Gary »

Thanks for both of your advices, Bruce.
FeelMyRath

Post by FeelMyRath »

I've used slide-o-mix for around 15 years on Yamaha and Rath slides. Since changing to S-O-M all that time ago I haven't needed to use a spray bottle once.
Making the world better, one note at a time

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Gary

Post by Gary »

FeelMyRath wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:39 pm Since changing to S-O-M all that time ago I haven't needed to use a spray bottle once.
Whew. Glad you included the "O"! :mrgreen:
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

It really depends on the slide.

I love the yamaha slide stuff, which you do spray. But it doesn't work on my Edwards slide.

The Edwards resists all slide applications EXCEPT trombotine. Drives me nuts, but it works exceedingly well with trombotine.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Martin Urbie Green Model?
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Assuming here that it's a Martin Urbie.
Disregard if it's a P-bone.
All the above mentioned lubes are good.
Close tolerance slide on the Urbie. Easy to gum it up with too much lube.
I'm a fan of using water spray.
On a clean inner slide, use fingers to apply only enough lube to create as thin a film as possible; just enough to create surface tension for the water that you spritz on next. If the water beads up on the slide, you've got enough lube. The outer slide rides on the water, not the lube.
FeelMyRath

Post by FeelMyRath »

Gary wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:20 pm
FeelMyRath wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:39 pm Since changing to S-O-M all that time ago I haven't needed to use a spray bottle once.
Whew. Glad you included the "O"! :mrgreen:
:P
Making the world better, one note at a time

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:18 pm It really depends on the slide.

I love the yamaha slide stuff, which you do spray. But it doesn't work on my Edwards slide.

The Edwards resists all slide applications EXCEPT trombotine. Drives me nuts, but it works exceedingly well with trombotine.
I had a Getzen slide that didn't like anything I used on it- especially the Yamaha stuff.
Interesting to hear that it's not just me.
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
Cmillar

Post by Cmillar »

I’m getting my best slide action ever since I started this...which someone else on the forum suggested:

- a touch of Trombotine on each slide stocking well rubbed in
- a few drops of Yamaha Slide Lube (purple bottle) on each slide

Work it in
Experiment with how many drops of slide lube to drop on and where

Clean inners and outer before doing this

Check it out!
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

I notice with Yamasnot that when it fails after several days, it gathers near the stockings in dry form. Thinking that this was because too much lube was ending up on the inner, I changed my routing to put the lube on the outer with a dry inner.

To do this I put a drop inside each outer, then swish it it with a 28 gauge nylon shotgun brush. The lube gets well distributed where the bearing surfaces meet and very little excess collects on the inner. I think it lasts longer, but heck, it's hard to tell. I do end up with less dry gook on the inners.

Shotgun brushes come in different stiffnesses. Find the limpest one you can.
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

baileyman wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:59 am I notice with Yamasnot that when it fails after several days, it gathers near the stockings in dry form. Thinking that this was because too much lube was ending up on the inner, I changed my routing to put the lube on the outer with a dry inner.
Having run out of SOM Rapid comfort I had to dig out an elderly bottle of Yamasnot. This had separated out into a clear(ish) liquid and fine white particles. After giving it a really good shake for a couple of minutes,(a long time) I applied it to the slide and it worked well. Happily two days later, after no use, the stockings hadn't dried out and the film on the slide was good and has remained consistently good ever since.

I wonder whether we don't shake the product enough when new, and so we're putting an incorrect mix onto the slide for the lifetime of the bottle.

So, with that in mind I've cut the brass heads off three brass picture hook nails and put them in the bottle (as a shaking aid) to hopefully get a more consistent mix. Will see how it works out..
ldmitruk

Post by ldmitruk »

Pre59 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:42 am
baileyman wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:59 am I notice with Yamasnot that when it fails after several days, it gathers near the stockings in dry form. Thinking that this was because too much lube was ending up on the inner, I changed my routing to put the lube on the outer with a dry inner.
Having run out of SOM Rapid comfort I had to dig out an elderly bottle of Yamasnot. This had separated out into a clear(ish) liquid and fine white particles. After giving it a really good shake for a couple of minutes,(a long time) I applied it to the slide and it worked well. Happily two days later, after no use, the stockings hadn't dried out and the film on the slide was good and has remained consistently good ever since.

I wonder whether we don't shake the product enough when new, and so we're putting an incorrect mix onto the slide for the lifetime of the bottle.

So, with that in mind I've cut the brass heads off three brass picture hook nails and put them in the bottle (as a shaking aid) to hopefully get a more consistent mix. Will see how it works out..
Interesting idea, I'd suggest a couple of small ball bearings in the bottle for mixing.
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

ldmitruk wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:35 pm
Pre59 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:42 am Having run out of SOM Rapid comfort I had to dig out an elderly bottle of Yamasnot. This had separated out into a clear(ish) liquid and fine white particles. After giving it a really good shake for a couple of minutes,(a long time) I applied it to the slide and it worked well. Happily two days later, after no use, the stockings hadn't dried out and the film on the slide was good and has remained consistently good ever since.

Interesting idea, I'd suggest a couple of small ball bearings in the bottle for mixing.
I didn't have any to hand, but now I see that there's many inexpensive types on eBay. Being made from a metal that's not going to react to the liquid is going to be important, so Chrome?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

You could use polished steel -- the slide goop will not react with it. Obviously stainless steel, brass, bronze, etc. will be even safer. Chrome plate is OK too, as would be nickel.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Titanium fishing sinkers? Or shot?
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, M&K GR Nickel leadpipe
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

ghmerrill wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:29 pm Titanium fishing sinkers? Or shot?
Ytterbium beads. Better yet, Unobtanium. :evil:
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

Your local hardware store probably has ball bearings in various sizes at a price that is hard to resist. You'd only need one, as more would bang against one another, with the possibility of chipping. There's only one ball bearing in a spray paint can; why should a lubricant be different?
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:10 pm
ghmerrill wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:29 pm Titanium fishing sinkers? Or shot?
Ytterbium beads. Better yet, Unobtanium. :evil:
Or even Trombonium? Not as heavy or toxic as lead, but particularly slippery..
afugate

Post by afugate »

Pre59 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:46 am
BGuttman wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:10 pm Ytterbium beads. Better yet, Unobtanium. :evil:
Or even Trombonium? Not as heavy or toxic as lead, but particularly slippery..
I highly recommend Trombonium. :lol:

It's dirt cheap - much less expensive than the other stuff. In fact, sometimes it's free, just so it can be included. :D

--Andy in OKC
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:10 pm You could use polished steel -- the slide goop will not react with it. Obviously stainless steel, brass, bronze, etc. will be even safer. Chrome plate is OK too, as would be nickel.
I have a tube of BBs for airguns. I never shoot them - steel rebounds at 90 - 95% velocity from anything hard, and tends to head for your face. When I need to clean something that I can't easily get a brush or cloth into, I add water, dish soap, a tablespoon or so of BBs, and swirl them around.

Then I pour them into a colander and rinse them off. (there's another step here I'll explain later)

What I've noticed is that even though they are copper coated steel, they rust like crazy and have to be replaced after a couple of uses.

(the other step? well, inevitably I spill them on the floor and have to go find my big magnet.)
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

Putting "agitators" in the Yamasnot has worked out very well. It's not drying out (going scratchy) is spreading more evenly, and works well without water, but better with.

The chrome coated steel ball bearing are easily obtainable on eBay, in the UK anyway, I'm not sure what the largest size would be to fit the bottle opening though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Loose-Ball-B ... DQJoGGBRXA

I coming to the end of an old bottle and will have a fresh one to test soon.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Pre59 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:33 am

The chrome coated steel ball bearing are easily obtainable on eBay, in the UK anyway, I'm not sure what the largest size would be to fit the bottle opening though.

There's an agitator in some brand of UK beer, isn't there? Is it Guiness?
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

That seems like a vicious rumor. :roll:
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Mescal incorporates an "agitator". It's a small worm that is harvested with the Agave plant. You can use it to mix up your drink (but you have to eat it).
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

timothy42b wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:26 pm

There's an agitator in some brand of UK beer, isn't there? Is it Guiness?
Yep. In Guiness cans. For many years.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

CANS? You drink Guiness out of CANS? I can't even.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

ghmerrill wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:27 pm CANS? You drink Guiness out of CANS? I can't even.
You don't drink the Guinness directly out of the can - the "widget" is there to foam the brew as you dispense it properly into a glass (the "perfect pour"). Much less satisfying to me, however, than a draft Guinness from a pub in its homeland (Ireland) or nearby (U.K.).

But for those who think it's sacrilege to drink beer out of an aluminum (Aluminium?) can instead of a bottle - what do you think a beer keg is made from?

Cheers - and happy St Pat's Day! :mrgreen:
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

The fact that cans and kegs are made of the same material cannot possibly justify the drinking of beer out of cans. In my ignorant youth, I drank "beer" out of cans. Now, on principle, I do not -- unless, of course, the beer in question comes only in cans. Sometimes practical decisions need to be made.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Amati Oval Euph
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

ghmerrill wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:10 pm In my ignorant youth, I drank "beer" out of cans. Now, on principle, I do not -- unless, of course, the beer in question comes only in cans. Sometimes practical decisions need to be made.
Practical decision: Pour the beer out of the ratty (or pristine) can into a proper beer glass - and enjoy! :clever:

Problem solved.

(Some of my favorite German lagers are sold in 500 mL aluminum cans. Very tasty!) :good:
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

No beer without a head, especially Guinness! It releases the flavor and aroma, and of course there's nothing like the whipped cream head on a Guinness. I have yet to consider spraying it on a slide, however; I'm not convinced it would make a good slide lubricant. ;)
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
Slideofhand1

Post by Slideofhand1 »

Gary wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:39 am With apologies to Trevor, I already forgot, so. .

I just bought an Urbie Green Model Trombone and would like to know the best lubricant to use on the slide.

Also, (how fundamental can you get? :eek: ), do I use a water spray with it?

Thanks, Gary
Over fifty years ,I stared out using cold cream and water “ugh “ but it woks .
Conn super slick ,no taste 👍🏻 Trombatine and so on.
I’ve found that Slide O Mix , if applied correctly to a clean slide will improve most slides.
Other than the initial spray, I don’t use a water bottle on stage.

Return to “Maintenance”