Hard deposits in mouthpiece

davek

Hard deposits in mouthpiece

Post by davek »

While cleaning my mouthpiece I noticed some hard deposits in the stem part of my mouthpiece. I assume it’s calcium? How do I clean those out? I’m afraid vinegar will hurt the sliver. Any safe way besides taking it into the shop?
BGuttman

Re: Hard deposits in mouthpiece

Post by BGuttman »

I moved your second post out of sight. I guess you missed the note that you don't see your posts until you have had two accepted.

As to the deposits, they are possibly calcium carbonate, but could also be some complex oxides. Vinegar won't hurt the silver, but it may not take the deposits off either. You can try using a good cream polish and see if that takes it off.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

A quick dip in hydrochloric (or muriatic) acid, which is how rotors are often "cleaned", would do the trick, eh? Not sure what, if anything that would do to the silver. Maybe not worth all that hassle if you don't have the acid sitting around.

Also, what about CLR? If the deposits are just internal to the shank, I should think you'd be able to plug the end, set the mouthpiece in a hole in a board (or something similar) with the cup up, put some CLR in it up to the throat, and let it sit for "a while".

I'd be more concerned about how the deposits got there in the first place. I guess just from lack of frequent cleaning or rinsing of the mouthpiece?
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
davek

Post by davek »

Right I cleaned the mouthpiece but only was running the brush from the cup side into the hole. I needed to brush from the opposite end as well. Still, it was not frequent enough, I’m sure. I should know better :shuffle:
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

Well, I think the brushing from both ends depends on what style of brush you use. If you use a brush in a cylindrical form (rather than the, perhaps more common, conical form), there's no need for the bi-directional brushing. I actually brush my mouthpieces very infrequently, but I do RINSE them. And I clean them thoroughly now and then. Like when I clean and re-lube the slide on the trombone. And I've never seen deposits on any of my trombone or tuba mouthpieces. However, a lot of this may depend on body chemistry.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K9/112 Lexan, Brass Ark MV50R
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

My shanks are raw brass and I never see those kinds of deposits on them, but I do see that on plated mouthpieces. I think it's fairly likely that it's not entirely "deposits," but a bunch of little defects and pitting in the plating that's inside the backbore.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
davek

Post by davek »

Well good news. The little white bumps disolved when I soaked the stem in a shot glass with 50-50 white vinegar and water. It took about 3 hours and I watched it frequently to make sure the silver was not etched or anything. I would scrub the inside with the mouthpiece brush every hour or so. I then soaked in baking soda and water just to be safe. The inside is clear and smooth. I had tried just really hot water alone at first but made no difference.
Hope this helps others.....
quiethorn

Post by quiethorn »

I've had those deposits before, little white spots on the inside of the shank near the end. I leave them in. They double my range and make me play faster :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Return to “Maintenance”