New lacquer

JMR

New lacquer

Post by JMR »

Hi folks,

Let's have an open and honest discussion about relacquering your horn. Have you done it? Is it better, the same or worse than original lacquer? What produce can be used on very beaten up lacquer and scratch marks?

Ready? Set?

GO!
Jean-Mathieu Royer
Bass and tenor trombonist, arranger

"From Monteverdi to Chicago!"
JMR

Re: New lacquer

Post by JMR »

Some pictures of what I mean by bad lacquer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jean-Mathieu Royer
Bass and tenor trombonist, arranger

"From Monteverdi to Chicago!"
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

The only way to really make that look "good" is a complete strip and refinish.

In my experience, there is very little difference in how he horn plays before-after. As long as the tech is careful and deliberate in what they do. There are some people who will buff the crap out of horns, and that "can" make them play differently.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Another thing that makes them play differently is too thick a coating.

A good refinish job is going to be expensive. And you won't be able to recoup it in resale value.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I'd just strip it and then... leave it that way. Patina for life!!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I have a bunch of ugly horns that play great. I've had some horns that were way over buffed, and the thin bell plays noticeably different. I've never had a horn re-lacquered, but I've had lacquer removed often.

I know some people are very conscious of looks. I'm not one. I'm more concerned about how they play.
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

I've had quite a few horns re-laqured over the years - never found it made much/any difference to the way they played. I've always been blessed with good tecnicians though!... Doug
Larryk

Post by Larryk »

Is there a truck to stripping the lacquer safely ?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Larryk wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:13 pm Is there a trick to stripping the lacquer safely ?
Yes. Find a shop that is properly equipped to do the job and have them do it.

Cellulose lacquer can be removed with lacquer thinner which needs good ventilation and can make you sick.

Epoxy lacquer needs special chemicals that are quite hazardous.

If you have no idea what kind of lacquer you are dealing with, you have no business trying.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Honestly, the only part of my horn I really care about the lacquer on is the grip area. I don't like leather handgrips, but I also hate the smell that gets on my hands from raw brass and raw nickel silver when it has oxidized from being held. So If I was to get lacquer work done on a horn, it would most likely just be for the top of the slide and maybe the bell receiver area.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

tbonesullivan wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:12 pm Honestly, the only part of my horn I really care about the lacquer on is the grip area. I don't like leather handgrips, but I also hate the smell that gets on my hands from raw brass and raw nickel silver when it has oxidized from being held. So If I was to get lacquer work done on a horn, it would most likely just be for the top of the slide and maybe the bell receiver area.
I know someone who got some of the invisible plastic film that they use to protect cars and had that applied on all the contact points. We played the same horn and I noticed no difference
tim

Post by tim »

What Aiden and hyperbola said is it. I remember a quote from someone who said "some people polish 'em, some people play 'em". I'm definitely in the second camp..
Tim

"We play a slide bugle"
Bach42t

Post by Bach42t »

If there was no lacquer on earth, manufacturers could never sell new horns. The shine is part of the sales psychology.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

BGuttman wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:21 pm Epoxy lacquer needs special chemicals that are quite hazardous.
I have in my shop a can of Jasco Premium Paint & Epoxy Remover. It has only a little remaining in it, which means that I used it at some time in the past. But I can't remember what I used it on. Perhaps the chemicals in it have suppressed my memory (it does contain things like ethylbenzene), but more likely it's just age-related. :lol: I do tend to gear up and use respirators with stuff like this. :roll:

Has anyone reading this ever used this to remove epoxy lacquer? I know for sure that I've never used it on any of my instruments and probably just used it as a paint remover. Just curious at this point. I've got some scrap trombone parts around here that I think are epoxy lacquered that I could test it on, I suppose.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, M&K GR Nickel leadpipe
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)

Return to “Maintenance”