REunion Blues bag repair

dukesboneman

REunion Blues bag repair

Post by dukesboneman »

I have a 1993 ReUnion Blues Leather gig Bag that needs some TLC repair. I`ve gone to 4 leather repair shops in Sarasota, they all take one look at the case and say "We are too busy, can`t help you". Where can I get this Bag worked on ?
CalgaryTbone

Re: REunion Blues bag repair

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Superfine bags? Not sure if they are back to work, but they were doing some repairs and refurbishing on older RB and Cronkite bags.

JIm Scott
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Hi Dukesboneman,

I had a similar issue with a leather gig bag that needed repairs a few years ago. A few of the cobbler/shoe repair businesses in my area did not want to touch it. I finally found a cobbler that had several of those old-fashioned heavy duty sewing machines that put stitches through thick leather and he did a nice job on it.

The interesting thing is that he quoted $100 for the repair and had a look on his face like “you will never agree to a price that high.” Being that a new, high-quality leather gig bag can easily cost $400-500 these days, I agreed to the price immediately!

My recommendation is that you should keep investigating. The old-world craftspeople who make custom shoes and really know how to work with leather are out there. They might just be a little more difficult to find.

I also agree with Jim Scott that Superfine Bags is a great option. The owner is on TromboneChat and a few of his bags have come through my shop…..I am impressed with the quality of their gig bags.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I got a 1984 O style SF RB bag rezippered at a shoe repair place. I think I also paid $100.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

Try a shoe repair.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
Soulbrass

Post by Soulbrass »

Late to the party, I know…but, try a saddlery. If you live near horses, there’s a saddlery nearby. My c.1983 RU bag was given an excellent facelift by a nearby saddlery/tack shop.

Return to “Maintenance”