Hetman- Out of Business

ZacharyThornton

Hetman- Out of Business

Post by ZacharyThornton »

Admin Edit: Rumors of Mr. Hetmann's retirement have been greatly exaggerated!
tbonesullivan

Re: Hetman- Out of Business

Post by tbonesullivan »

Well that certainly is a bummer. Most of the oils that I use regularly are Hetman. The large range of viscosity really helped me get the exact valve action I wanted. I've probably got enough in my current bottles to last me years, but it is kinda sad.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Apparently Meinlschmidt bought the assets.

I'll keep singing the praises of Ultra-Pure!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
ZacharyThornton

I heard that about Meinlshmidt but who knows how long until they up and running. Will it be the same?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I love hetmans, but ultra-pure is better. Give it a shot.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Is ultra-pure water soluable? I loved Hetmanns because I could flush all of it with water if I needed to.
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Oh that's not good news! Is there any equivalent that'll be available to Hetman Hydro-Slide? It really helps extend the life of a Trombotine application.

I'll be kinda sad to have to search for new valve oil but that's likely easier to find a tolerable replacement.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

Matt K wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:34 pm Is ultra-pure water soluable? I loved Hetmanns because I could flush all of it with water if I needed to.
I wouldn't think that would be a positive attribute.
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

Please don't every everyone panic !! There was a time, not so long ago, that the only choice for slide lube was "Pond's Cold Cream" ! You know ---- it worked perfectly well !
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

2bobone wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:56 pm Please don't every everyone panic !! There was a time, not so long ago, that the only choice for slide lube was "Pond's Cold Cream" ! You know ---- it worked perfectly well !
Screwed up my trigger though. :D
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

I thought the Hetman oils were now being sold under the Shires name. ?
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Bonearzt wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:20 pm
Matt K wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:34 pm Is ultra-pure water soluable? I loved Hetmanns because I could flush all of it with water if I needed to.
I wouldn't think that would be a positive attribute.
You probably have more effective means of cleaning something than I do. I've had valves gunk up before when I was using stuff that didn't dissolve with water if it accidentally found its way down the tubing. I'm not super handy, so I prefer just to be able to flush with water if anything happens (which I can't remember that ever happening since I switched to hetmans like 10 years ago or so). I don't find it a big inconvenience to put a few drops of valve oil on my valves when I go to use them.
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

My concern is more with the ability for normal moisture to flush away the lubricant easily.

I rarely find oils or greases REALLY gummed up in the tubing, and usually find that mineral spirits are a very capable solvent.
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Mamaposaune wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:34 pm I thought the Hetman oils were now being sold under the Shires name. ?
Shires was buying oils from Hetman, not producing them. I'm told they are now using UltraPure in the factory.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

I've been pretty happy with 5 Starr oils recently.
droffilcal

Post by droffilcal »

So what’s the alternative for Hetman’s Classic Piston valve oil? My bass trumpet and euphonium are both really old and those valves like the Classic valve oil……
ParLawGod

Post by ParLawGod »

droffilcal wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:24 am So what’s the alternative for Hetman’s Classic Piston valve oil? My bass trumpet and euphonium are both really old and those valves like the Classic valve oil……
I am in the same dilemma, and was thinking of giving the Ultra Pure Black Label Classic oil a try - since it's a little thicker and designed for worn valves. I'm not in a position to give advice (since I've never used that oil), but maybe someone here has experience with it and can give their two cents.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

droffilcal wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:24 am So what’s the alternative for Hetman’s Classic Piston valve oil? My bass trumpet and euphonium are both really old and those valves like the Classic valve oil……
5 Starr makes one called RedZone that is intended for that purpose. http://fivestarrproducts.com/home/?p=54
I got a sample from my local store, and it seems good on my older Shires rotary valves.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I've had good luck on my Euph with Blue Juice and with UltraPure.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

I agree with Gabe. I’ve been using 5 Starr on my Greenhoe valves for a year.

Fridge
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

2bobone wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:56 pm Please don't every everyone panic !! There was a time, not so long ago, that the only choice for slide lube was "Pond's Cold Cream" ! You know ---- it worked perfectly well !
:lol:
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

Listen to the most recent episode of the Third Coast Trombone Retreat podcast. They mention oils from Meinlshmidt with the Hetman nomenclature.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I bought a 64 oz bottle of ultra pure paraffin lamp oil for $10. Works as good as anything else, and I don't feel bad about dumping a lot in the valves. For me the oil helps clean valves as much as lube.

Hetmans actually caused my tight tolerance valves to bind.
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

ZacharyThornton wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:25 pm I have heard the rumors but finally got the information from a reliable source. Mr. Hetman has retired and as of now Hetman is completely unavailable.
Maybe someone will buy the company? But for now no more Hetman.
Not true. I know Joe, and ran in to him tonight at a concert, so I was able to ask him directly. He is not going out of business, he is just experiencing some supply chain issues. His product will continue to be available. And I, for one, will continue to buy and use his valve oils!
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Mamaposaune wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:14 pm
ZacharyThornton wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:25 pm I have heard the rumors but finally got the information from a reliable source. Mr. Hetman has retired and as of now Hetman is completely unavailable.
Maybe someone will buy the company? But for now no more Hetman.
Not true. I know Joe, and ran in to him tonight at a concert, so I was able to ask him directly. He is not going out of business, he is just experiencing some supply chain issues. His product will continue to be available. And I, for one, will continue to buy and use his valve oils!
Fake News has invaded TromboneChat! :horror:

Don't believe everything that you read on the Internet! :roll:
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

😆😆😆 I guess I could have been less sparky in my reply. But Joe hears the rumors (some are far worse that what's posted here) and wonders how they get started..
Posaunus wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:38 pm
Mamaposaune wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:14 pm

Fake News has invaded TromboneChat! :horror:

Don't believe everything that you read on the Internet! :roll:
ZacharyThornton

People within his company (or distribution network) are telling retailers that their products are no longer available and that he is retiring… he should have an in house meeting then if that isn’t true. I love their products and I hope they aren’t going away! I want to be proven wrong!
ZacharyThornton

Re: Hetman- NOT Out of Business

I called and asked some higher up people I know. I’ve been lied too. Hetman is NOT gone and Mr. Hetman is NOT retired. I am sorry. If possible I would like to tell Mr. Hetman myself that I am sorry.
This ruins any credibility I have ever had and now I know to do my own research and not listen to the people I did.
If possible, can an admin delete this thread but leave my apology up? I don’t want people finding this on a Google search when they are looking for Mr. Hetman’s products.
I am sorry, I messed up.
Matt K
Verified

Re: Hetman- NOT Out of Business

Post by Matt K »

ZacharyThornton wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:25 am I called and asked some higher up people I know. I’ve been lied too. Hetman is NOT gone and Mr. Hetman is NOT retired. I am sorry. If possible I would like to tell Mr. Hetman myself that I am sorry.
This ruins any credibility I have ever had and now I know to do my own research and not listen to the people I did.
If possible, can an admin delete this thread but leave my apology up? I don’t want people finding this on a Google search when they are looking for Mr. Hetman’s products.
I am sorry, I messed up.
Eh, in the grand scheme of things I dont' think this is that big of a deal. But I'll clean it up
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Locking thread, if anything not someone will see the first post debunking the rumor as well as the discussion about how it was debunked as well as the trailing comment, this one, indicating that Hetmann products will continue to be available for the foreseeable future!

Return to “Maintenance”