Neckpipe wrap

brassmedic

Neckpipe wrap

Post by brassmedic »

Just a reminder: when you wrap stuff around your neckpipe because you think you're "protecting" it, this is what is actually happening.
20221010_131248.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Burgerbob

Re: Neckpipe wrap

Post by Burgerbob »

Scrape it off into a bowl, sprinkle onto your cereal. Vitamins and minerals for free!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Burgerbob wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:20 pm Scrape it off into a bowl, sprinkle onto your cereal. Vitamins and minerals for free!
Well, at least minerals. Copper and zinc. :wink:
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

BGuttman wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:35 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:20 pm Scrape it off into a bowl, sprinkle onto your cereal. Vitamins and minerals for free!
Well, at least minerals. Copper and zinc. :wink:
Maybe not vitamins, but probably some organic material has crept in there too! :horror:
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Part of a complete breakfast.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

More on topic, I took the leather wraps off a friend's slide once and found the same thing underneath. It came off in chunks. One of the nastiest smells I have ever smelled as well.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Hello? Anybody there?
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Burgerbob wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:39 pm More on topic, I took the leather wraps off a friend's slide once and found the same thing underneath. It came off in chunks. One of the nastiest smells I have ever smelled as well.
I agree with you on this BurgerBob. Removing those leather slides wraps is one of my least favorite things. Sometimes horns come in that have had those on for several years and the smell can be very nasty. Removing the laces seems to release the demons. I would put it in the same “stench level” category as my nephew’s hockey gear.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

I still use electrical tape on my small bores. If wrapped well with a lot of overlap nothing gets thru. I don’t use it to protect the goose neck, I use it to protect my neck and the collars of my shirts.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

bigbandbone wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:43 am I still use electrical tape on my small bores. If wrapped well with a lot of overlap nothing gets thru. I don’t use it to protect the goose neck, I use it to protect my neck and the collars of my shirts.
Yeah, I have used cork bicycle handlebar tape (which is very comfortable, but sometimes doesn't allow a horn to fit in a case), but now I use drum stick wrap or tennis racket tape. No adhesive. It's much more to protect the neck and shirt collar than anything else. I don't shave daily, so the tape has a tendency to need replacing after a year anyway. The neckpipe on most of my horns starts out without much lacquer anyway. I've had a lot of shirt collars ruined by raw brass or nickel silver on the left hand side.

Return to “Maintenance”