Buzzing noise Holton 168

patrickosmith

Buzzing noise Holton 168

Post by patrickosmith »

I decided to post this in maintenance after first after searching three appropriate forums (maintenance, repair and instruments).

My 1957 vintage Frank Holton 168 sometimes makes a buzzing noise near middle Bb. This started happening after undergoing a full maintenance and cleaning at Osmun Music in Acton, MA. It is a simple annoyance so I let it for months without complaining. But I now have an upcoming concert with some soft playing at a concert hall with awesome acoustics. Here's my plug for the concert: Afternoon of Brass at Mechanics Hall https://ABMH.eventbrite.com/

I think the buzzing noise is coming from the spring of the short-throw trigger for the F-attachment. Here's a photo:

Any ideas how I might fix this?
PXL_20220530_110924960.MP_2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by patrickosmith on Mon May 30, 2022 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BGuttman

Re: Buzzing noise Holton 168

Post by BGuttman »

If you tighten that spring manually can you make the buzzing get less? Could be the coils are just loose and tightening the spring one more turn will keep things under control (except that the trigger will be a lot stiffer to press).

The folks at Osmun are usually really good about making sure you are happy with their work. Get in touch with them and see what you can work out.

Meanwhile, you could try putting some electrical tape around the spring to damp the vibration as a short term fix. You could also try putting some heavy oil on the spindle in case that's the problem. And see if there is a loose screw in the spindle of the trigger lever.

Good luck with the concert.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I think it is important to diagnose the exact problem. Springs don’t usually make buzzing noises because they are held firmly in place by their own tension. If the spring is broken and loose……yes, then it could make noise. Otherwise, I don’t think it is the spring.

Buzzing noises are more often caused by a small leak in a solder joint. When trombonists bring their horns to me and say, “I think my water key spring is buzzing or rattling,” I find that it is almost never a problem with the spring. It is usually a leak in water key cork or a solder leak in one of the ferrules at the end of the slide.

Try some simple “process of elimination” experiments with your spring. Chew on a piece of gum, place the gum on the spring (temporarily, of course) and try playing. I have found that gum and silly putty are great dampening tools for experiments, but gum is usually firmer. If the buzz continues, my guess is that it could be one of the solder joints.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

Maybe they forgot to lube your tuning slides. I’ve had a buzz from that before.
Steve
patrickosmith

Post by patrickosmith »

I updated the post to include the photo indigenously.

You will notice a small notch near the left side spring tail. When positioned in this notch the spring touches the instrument. I moved it to the left (out of the notch) so that the spring tail no longer touches the instrument. The buzzing seems lessened but still present.
Monkhouse

Post by Monkhouse »

patrickosmith wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:11 pm I updated the post to include the photo indigenously.

You will notice a small notch near the left side spring tail. When positioned in this notch the spring touches the instrument. I moved it to the left (out of the notch) so that the spring tail no longer touches the instrument. The buzzing seems lessened but still present.
Can you trim the tail on the springs so it has just enough purchase to hold? that would have less mass to vibrate, and more clearance from the horn or other attachment points. I always find a way to stab myself on these springs.
Blabberbucket

Post by Blabberbucket »

Bring it back to Osmun to let them know that it began buzzing after having it serviced there. They are a high-level, professional shop - they will take care of it.
David Paul - Brass Repair/Manufacture

Return to “Maintenance”