Buzzing location

Indiebass1993

Buzzing location

Post by Indiebass1993 »

Hey all!

I was wondering if anybody had a good strategy to identify where buzzing on an instrument is happening. For context, whenever I play anything in 3rd position, I can hear a metallic buzzing. Everything has been lubricated, although I will say right after fresh lubrication it goes away, but reappears after 5-10 minutes.

Thanks!
TheBoneRanger

Re: Buzzing location

Post by TheBoneRanger »

I usually have a friend stand close by who can move around and lightly touch all of the usual places.
TromboneTallie

Post by TromboneTallie »

Use a thicker grease on your tuning slides AND slide lock.

If that doesn't fix it, it's probably a loose brace joint.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Indiebass1993 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:55 pm right after fresh lubrication it goes away, but reappears after 5-10 minutes
Right, so it's one of the places you lubricate, or it's the bell lock nut working slightly loose a short while after post-lube-reassembly. Deaden/hold each spot in order until you find it...
TromboneTallie

Post by TromboneTallie »

That's true, you may be overtightening the locking nut on a regular basis, so it doesn't work properly anymore.

I wonder if an O ring would help?
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Then lubricate one thing at a time and then play the instrument. When it stops buzzing, the last thing you lubricated is the thing that was buzzing.🖖
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Indiebass1993

Post by Indiebass1993 »

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll end up taking it in to have it checked out. I forgot to include in my post that the instrument had some work done on it (manufacturers warranty work) that included replacing the valves and valve casings. Did the lubrication test (lube then play) and lubricated each joint with the proper oil (4-5 drops) and the buzz was still there. Played while having my hand around the main brace and the buzz went away, so I'm suspecting a loose joint.
Blabberbucket

Post by Blabberbucket »

Typical cause of buzzing is a loose/broken solder joint. If it is a modular instrument, double check that all screw joints are tightened completely. If it didn't buzz before the manufacturer work, and now does, send it back.
David Paul - Brass Repair/Manufacture
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The sneakiest one is the slide lock. No one usually thinks to grease it
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

harrisonreed wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:08 pm The sneakiest one is the slide lock. No one usually thinks to grease it
:clever:
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher

Return to “Maintenance”