Brass protectant for Nickel leadpipes

BrianJohnston

Brass protectant for Nickel leadpipes

Post by BrianJohnston »

Hi all,

I've had bad luck with my nickel Lead-pipes rotting/going bad over just a few years of use, wondering if there is a sort of protectant product that won't effect the resonance too much. Thanks hivemind.

- Brian
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
hornbuilder

Re: Brass protectant for Nickel leadpipes

Post by hornbuilder »

?? What is happening with them. Nickel doesn't "rot" like brass can. How are they going bad??
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
OneTon

Post by OneTon »

Changing your body’s metabolism is difficult. Acidic foods can be reduced or eliminated by oral hygiene. Is it possible to clean the slide more often than you are now?

The truck tankers carrying acid with little tanks and lots of added external stiffeners use a rubber bladder inside the tank to keep the acid from eating through. That will alter your sound.

I have had trouble with red rot on Yamaha slides. I have virtually quit drinking Diet Coke before or during practice. I drink water instead. If I get the chance to brush my teeth I do that as well. I can’t tell for sure if that has made a difference. I have switched to a 2b with a nickel slide for big band. I have never had corrosion issues with nickel or lightweight nickel slides. To the best of my knowledge I never have had a nickel leadpipe. Excess exposure to an acid is the most probable culprit. Nickel silver is most probably tougher than anything you can coat it with that does not alter the sound.

I probably have not offered anything that you don’t already know. Shires will make stainless steel leadpipes on special order. I don’t know when you would get it.
Richard Smith
Wichita, Kansas
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Stainless steel? You mean sterling silver? Otherwise I may have just developed a new, expensive curiosity lol
jorymil

Post by jorymil »

Nickel silver, right (which still contains zinc)? Or actual 100% nickel?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Nickel silver is a copper-based alloy that contains from 10% to 45% zinc and from 5% to 30% nickel

This is based on a quick Google search.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

BrianJohnston wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:21 pm Hi all,

I've had bad luck with my nickel Lead-pipes rotting/going bad over just a few years of use, wondering if there is a sort of protectant product that won't effect the resonance too much. Thanks hivemind.

- Brian
Nickel? Like the seamed nickel silver that the Brass Ark sells? That seems really strange. The inner slide tubes are made from Nickel Silver too, and I'm pretty sure the inside isn't chrome plated, just the outside. If the leadpipes are rotting out, I would think the slide tubes would be too.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

[Unmarked]: yellow brass—ideal balance of brilliance and warmth for most players, clear and articulate (the overwhelming majority of S.E. Shires players prefer yellow-brass leadpipes)
N: nickel silver*—brilliant and clear, crisp articulation and response (can limit timbral flexibility)
G: gold brass*—warm, dense sound, rounded articulations (can limit clarity)
SS: sterling silver*†—strong fundamental and presence of sound with clean, simple overtone presentation, clear attack (can lack warmth and brilliance)
So they have both sterling and nickel. I was thinking they might be introducing something new that wasn't on the site yet. I doubt its seamed, it's probably drawn tubes.

I've never actually inquired now that I think about it, but I was under the impression the inner portion of the tube was likewise chrome plated. I'll have to check mine tonight.
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

Nickel Silver like BrassArk & M/K make. I assume rotting was the wrong word, but my last leadpipe from 2015/16 developed a hole in it over time. (I have a very acidic make-up btw)
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

That "really" surprises me! NS is used specifically for it's resistance to corrosion and acids. Was it a seamed pipe, with the hole forming on the seam?
Matthew Walker
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

Seamed pipe, hole in the middle of the lead pipe
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I've been meaning to have my leadpipes silver plated to keep them somewhat protected against corrosion. Maybe that would help? You might have to remove it frequently, clean it out and dry it off after playing somewhat frequently, wich you should be able to do since your pipes are removable. Some people just swab the inside of the leadpipe, which is good, but you also ideally would swab the outside of the leadpipe since moisture can build up there and otherwise may take way longer to dry out.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

It is "really" hard to plate inside a long narrow tube. The outside would plate just fine, but not the inside.
Matthew Walker
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

So it wasn't the nickel, it was the brazing material. There was probably a microscopic hole in it to start. Bad luck. The next one could last you the rest of your career.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

hornbuilder wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:39 am It is "really" hard to plate inside a long narrow tube. The outside would plate just fine, but not the inside.
That makes sense. The outside is the part thats harder for me to clean so I'll probably still go through with it when I can get around to it :lol:

Return to “Maintenance”