Hagmaan valve seal

JamesSp

Hagmaan valve seal

Post by JamesSp »

Hi all,

Relatively recently I was granted an exemption for international travel. Unfortunately due to the pandemic there was really only one airline flying out of my country to where I was going and they had very intense and unusual rules for how I could pack and take my trombone. I usually fly very regularly and have set ups for almost any outcome required for packing it, but this was weird and new to me.

I found what I thought was a safe way to do it where the airline agreed to check/take it, but unfortunately my trombone came out the other side with damage, tubes were bent etc.... I took it quickly to a local repair person and they did a great job. However, since getting it back, one of the caps on my hagmaan valves feel loose, it rattles a bit if I encourage it to do so, it also spins with little resistance if I twist it.

Not a major deal, doesn't seem to affect the sound, just never used to do that and it's starting to annoy me. Any easy/safe fixes I could try?
ithinknot

Re: Hagmaan valve seal

Post by ithinknot »

Might just need a new rubber O ring. (The other possibilities, involving casing distortion, are unlikely if the valve is working well.)
JamesSp

Re: Hagmaan valve seal

Post by JamesSp »

ithinknot wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:01 pm Might just need a new rubber O ring. (The other possibilities, involving casing distortion, are unlikely if the valve is working well.)
That was it! Thanks :)

Return to “Maintenance”