Biolube for slides

leafylief

Biolube for slides

Post by leafylief »

https://berp.com/product/biolube-trombone-handslides/

I just bought this. Excited. I try to be as environmentally active as possible. I had thought of using some of my plant based bike lube but decided to see what i could find that's legit. It looks like this stuff will double as a tuning slide grease too.

Has anyone ever used this? How's the performance?

I'll check in in a few days with my results.
-Leafy O Lief
King 3B+ Sterling
Wakawaka555

Re: Biolube for slides

Post by Wakawaka555 »

Hi- thanks for sharing. I don't know why, but I always get suckered in to trying new oils. I do like the plant-based concept. Just ordered some (and rotary oil too). I have a few different configurations to try this on, so i'll report back too.
tjonz

Post by tjonz »

I recently purchased a Butler carbon fiber trombone. The slide really flies, but since moisture creates drag it must be kept dry. Berp Biolube and a drop of Yamaha silicon is the recommended method of lubrication. It seems to work well, although an unlubricated slide feels pretty much the same. I assume the Biolube will help prevent long term wear.

I'm considering trying Biolube on my brass slides and I had hoped to find feedback here from others who had tried it. Anyone?
muschem

Post by muschem »

I use biolube on my Butler CF slide, and I like it. I've tried it out on brass slides with mixed results. On its own, I don't hate it on brass slides, but for a single application, I prefer yamasnot. Combining a light coat of biolube and a drop of silicone works better for me than biolube on its own for brass slides. I also use Berp's rotor oil in weights 4 and 7, and that works well for me.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
BHolleyBrass

Post by BHolleyBrass »

I bought some to try a few weeks ago (Shires yellow brass slide) and love it. A little of the BERP on the stockings with a little "Yamasnot" lasts much, much longer than the Yamasnot on its own. I don't like using a water bottle, but it's worth the extra five seconds an hour to keep the slide working more than one day between swabbings. That little container should last several years, too.
S.E. Shires Ralph Sauer Tenor
AR Resonance ML GR1 72
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

BHolleyBrass wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:59 am I don't like using a water bottle, but it's worth the extra five seconds an hour to keep the slide working more than one day between swabbings.
Not sure why you would avoid the water bottle. I use mine (a short fine spray of distilled water on the lower part of each inner slide - about once every 45 minutes) on my (Yamaha- or Rapid Comfort-lubed) slide. But I still clean, swab, and dry my slides nearly every day, just to ensure they're put away dry and won't corrode. My slides remain in impeccable condition.
BHolleyBrass

Post by BHolleyBrass »

I used to avoid the water bottle because the Yamasnot worked well enough and long enough (for shorter gigs, anyway) on my main Shires slide without it and the fewer things I can get away with carrying, the better.

I’ve heard to use distilled water for several years, too (even in my Red Wing lit, if I remember correctly) and that’s in my bottle now, but the Shires maintenance video from earlier this week said to use tap or filtered water instead of distilled; I’m curious to know why they mentioned that. I’m a weird repair tech, I guess; my horns are all meticulously maintained. My first BERP application was right after a chem clean, buffing inside the outer tubes, buffing the stockings, and all that fun stuff.

Either way, the post is about BERP Biolube (not my dislike of having to use a water bottle... LOL) and, in my experience/testing, it works better than Yamasnot alone.
S.E. Shires Ralph Sauer Tenor
AR Resonance ML GR1 72
pbone3b

Post by pbone3b »

Just tried this on my 3b, so far so good. Feels good.
Let's see how it holds up in a real practice/rehearse/performance setting.
I like that it's a tiny jar that doesn't take up any room in the case. Nice to have options.
"You blow in this end of the trombone,
and sound comes out the other end and
disrupts the cosmos."
Roswell Rudd

Check out Pat's music
http://pbone.org
pbone3b

Post by pbone3b »

pbone3b wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:02 pm Just tried this on my 3b, so far so good. Feels good.
Let's see how it holds up in a real practice/rehearse/performance setting.
I like that it's a tiny jar that doesn't take up any room in the case. Nice to have options.
*UPDATE
Yeah...
I think I'm back on Yamaha. I like the idea of the Bio, but in the end I didn't like the feel.
"You blow in this end of the trombone,
and sound comes out the other end and
disrupts the cosmos."
Roswell Rudd

Check out Pat's music
http://pbone.org

Return to “Maintenance”