Coffee and The Trombone

BigBadandBass

Coffee and The Trombone

Post by BigBadandBass »

Alright, I'm not sure if this was the best place to ask. But long ago when I first started my undergrad, my teacher made the comment "there are three things you put through the horn, air, water and coffee" (I should add he regularly has coffee while playing and even has a coffee maker in our studio). Now 4 years later, regularly drinking a black cup of coffee during my playing I'm beginning to wonder if it is actively damaging my horn. Not a fan of a latte so that doesn't matter to me, but should I continue to drink a cup while playing? I usually clean my horn twice weekly so it's not like it's sitting but are there any long lasting negative effects?

Thanks!
spencercarran

Re: Coffee and The Trombone

Post by spencercarran »

The pH of coffee is usually about 5, making it somewhat more acidic than your regular saliva (or water, of course). It definitely adds some extra wear to the inside of the horn. Not as bad as if you were drinking orange juice right before playing.

My typical procedure is to brush teeth before playing, only drink water during sessions.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Coffee is some of the worst. I cleaned a friend's horn in grad school and got what I can only describe as a "slug" of congealed coffee out of the upper slide tube.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Black coffee has very little stuff dissolved. Add cream or sugar and you have a nice mold growth medium.

Your weekly clean should be OK with black coffee (or black tea) but anything added toi it is asking for trouble.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

It is my understanding that hydration is important to maintaining and optimizing your playing. Consuming diuretics such as coffee combats this hydration. I'll go out on a limb and say that discontinuing your use of coffee will benefit you and your horn.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

spencercarran wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:49 pm The pH of coffee is usually about 5, making it somewhat more acidic than your regular saliva (or water, of course). It definitely adds some extra wear to the inside of the horn. Not as bad as if you were drinking orange juice right before playing.

My typical procedure is to brush teeth before playing, only drink water during sessions.
I floss and brush before playing, and I rarely have to clean the inside of my horns at all. Of course, using Herco Spitballs on a weekly basis is also a considerable factor in keeping my horns spotless inside.
Current instruments:

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Not trying to be a contrarian, but I believe both are necessary. :twisted:
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

Kbiggs wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:40 pm Not trying to be a contrarian, but I believe both are necessary. :twisted:
Well, that all Depends....
Current instruments:

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

"Long ago when I started my undergrad."

Good one!
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

I drink coffee when i play too (though it'siced). I used to drink tea when i played but needed to cut back. I drimk a lot of water when i play too. I need the caffine to keep me focused. Because i drink so much i try to bath my horn once a month.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
Elow

Post by Elow »

Just checked my leadpipe because i drink coffee fairly regularly, its pretty gross. Not the worst ive seen, but gave me a reason to clean the whole things
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Barkeeper's Friend (liquid) does a good job of removing coffee stains without being too abrasive. I'm not really sure how abrasive it is, so I'd rinse and re-wash thoroughly after it.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
mbtrombone

Post by mbtrombone »

I drink coffee (up to 64oz on a horrible set of days), tea (up to 64oz), and tons of water (64oz min a day). It is all bad for the horn, even the water in the end.

Personally I think it just means you need to clean the horn more, or be ok with the fact that things might corrode long term. I tend to eat through horns where I touch on the outside very quickly, so I am not overly concerned with the interior other than wiping out the inside every couple of days (I use one of the slide-o-mix rods with the snake attachment). The inside of my horns are actually much better than the outsides...

There is a famous trombonist out there and they recommend drinking a little Sprite before playing to combat dry mouth, so it all kind of depends on what you need to play well, which will dictate your cleaning, and maintenance routine.
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

You will all hate me for this, but I totally clean my horn twice a day. Hey drill sergeant, I fired my weapon this morning! What should I do? Clean it, troop. Hey drill sergeant, I didn't fire my weapon at all today. What should I do? Clean it, troop!

Is there even a thing as too clean? I don't think so...
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

ArbanRubank wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:26 am You will all hate me for this, but I totally clean my horn twice a day. Hey drill sergeant, I fired my weapon this morning! What should I do? Clean it, troop. Hey drill sergeant, I didn't fire my weapon at all today. What should I do? Clean it, troop!

Lol.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

ArbanRubank wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:26 am You will all hate me for this, but I totally clean my horn twice a day. Hey drill sergeant, I fired my weapon this morning! What should I do? Clean it, troop. Hey drill sergeant, I didn't fire my weapon at all today. What should I do? Clean it, troop!

A clean gun is a happy gun. Same for a horn, plus a shiny horn is a happy horn! :D
Current instruments:

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
Nobbi

Post by Nobbi »

This is an interesting thread ... I only drink water while playing my horns and don't eat at all.
That is experience from 40 years of playing brass music ... and having found partial french fries after a heavy weekend and some drinks. THAT was gross.
Since I dry out horns at the end of each day with the great brass saver tool .... I think I am fine with possible corrosion.
All I wonder recently is the green residue on my slide which I totally clean once a week. Just got the tip from a friend to only clean the inner slide and relubricate. Keep the outer slide as it is and clean that one only once a month.
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

THIS MY TROMBONE. THERE ARE MANY LIKE IT BUT THIS ONE IS MINE. WITHOUT ME MY TROMBONE IS USELESS. WITHOUT MY TROMBONE I AM USELESS.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

CLP!

I saw a guy at my first unit "clean" his rifle until all the bluing was gone. He turned it in and then they DXed it.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Nobbi wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:46 am All I wonder recently is the green residue on my slide which I totally clean once a week. Just got the tip from a friend to only clean the inner slide and relubricate. Keep the outer slide as it is and clean that one only once a month.
This is a rather bad approach, according to my tech. What do you think is the origin of the green residue? It certainly doesn't come from the chrome-plated inner slide! It is debris and corrosion products from your slowly deteriorating / disintegrating OUTER slide.

It's very important to keep your outer slide clean and dry. My tech suggests (and I comply) cleaning and drying the inside of the outer slide every day before storing. For this I also use the H-W Brass-Saver (inner and outer slides), followed by the Slide-O-Mix towel sheath. Air out both inner and outer slides a while so they're dead dry; then put the trombone to bed. Your slides will last a long time if you do this and keep them aligned and dent-free.
Nobbi

Post by Nobbi »

Posaunus wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:29 pm It's very important to keep your outer slide clean and dry. My tech suggests (and I comply) cleaning and drying the inside of the outer slide every day before storing. For this I also use the H-W Brass-Saver (inner and outer slides), followed by the Slide-O-Mix towel sheath. Air out both inner and outer slides a while so they're dead dry; then put the trombone to bed. Your slides will last a long time if you do this and keep them aligned and dent-free.
Thanks Posaunus, those were my initial thoughts, too.
Since the "once-a-month-the-outer-slide-only" statement came from a professional trombonist, I was of course open to such an experience report, although wondering in a matter of material sciences.
I will keep my regular routine. :good:
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:06 pm

CLP!

I saw a guy at my first unit "clean" his rifle until all the bluing was gone. He turned it in and then they DXed it.
Hah! I doubt gun oil would be useful on trombone maintenance. But there are similarities between cleaning a trombone and cleaning a rifle. The equipment is even similar, although I seriously would warn against using a barrel brush in a slide! But the basic concepts are the same: cleanliness and lubrication. In the case of a rifle, dirt can cause a malfunction. In the case of a trombone, how clean do you want something that comes in contact with your face and possibly your lungs! When you take in a big breath between phrases, does any of the air inside the slide come along for the ride? Anyone care to take a swab of the inside of their not-very-clean slide and do a culture in a petri dish? You might be horrified at a lab analysis.
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

I use a shot gun rod to clean my slide.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Back in the days of black powder, there was a saying that "the sun never sets on a dirty gun"; black powder leaves quite a bit of residue and, while said residue isn't corrosive in and of itself, it does attract and retain moisture. If you didn't keep it clean, it wouldn't last - and that would cost you money, and could cost you your life.

The situation isn't as dire with trombones, but there are definite parallels.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Eating and drinking anything but water while playing any instrument is a bad idea. But do what you will.
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

I just drink straight slideomix. It works wonders for the horn!
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Everclear might leave your horn cleaner if you play it after drinking...

Hold a lighter up the the bell while playing. That'll clean it out real fast
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

Probably helps keep me free of COVID as well!
Matt Hawke
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

MagnumH wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:54 am I just drink straight slideomix. It works wonders for the horn!
Two-part version, or Rapid Comfort?
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

Posaunus wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:12 am
MagnumH wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:54 am I just drink straight slideomix. It works wonders for the horn!
Two-part version, or Rapid Comfort?
Two part, naturally! It’s like a beer and a whisky chaser.
Matt Hawke
jbeatenbough

Post by jbeatenbough »

That is a good idea...I might have to change to that... I've been using SuperSlick as creamer in my coffee for a while - so I never have to lube my slide.
John

Tenor:
King 2B Silvertone-DW 12CS
Shires 1Y,T47,Dual Valve-DW 6BL
Shires 7YLW screw bell, T08-25YC-DW 6BS
Kanstul 1555-DW 6BS

Alto:
Thomann TEB480L-Schilke 45B

Trumpet:
King Liberty Silvertone AB-Schilke M2C
King 600-Bach 7C
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

MagnumH wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:53 am Probably helps keep me free of COVID as well!
It makes you too slippery for the virus to latch onto.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

While coffee connoisseurs consider any metal implements to be undesirable in the preparation of coffee the small bit of scientific investigation into the effect of coffee on metal suggests that it inhibits corrosion.

This study considers coffee on steel but perhaps the fundamentals apply to other metals.

Inhibitory action of aqueous coffee ground extracts on the corrosion of carbon steel in HCl solution
Abstract

The effects of aqueous extracts of spent coffee grounds on the corrosion of carbon steel in a 1 mol L−1 HCl were examined. Two methods of extraction were studied: decoction and infusion. The inhibition efficiency of C-steel in 1 mol L−1 HCl increased as the extract concentration and temperature increased. The coffee extracts acted as a mixed-type inhibitor with predominant cathodic effectiveness. In this study, the adsorption process of components of spent coffee grounds extracts obeyed the Langmuir adsorption isotherm. The chlorogenic acids isolated do not seem to explain the corrosion inhibition observed during the use of the coffee extracts.
I can't imagine how this did not win the Ig-Noble prize in its year.
Last edited by robcat2075 on Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

robcat2075 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:14 am While coffee connoisseurs consider any metal implements to be undesirable in the preparation of coffee the small bit of scientific investigation into the effect of coffee on metal suggests suggests that it inhibits corrosion.

This study considers coffee on steel but perhaps the fundamentals apply to other metals.

Inhibitory action of aqueous coffee ground extracts on the corrosion of carbon steel in HCl solution
Abstract

The effects of aqueous extracts of spent coffee grounds on the corrosion of carbon steel in a 1 mol L−1 HCl were examined. Two methods of extraction were studied: decoction and infusion. The inhibition efficiency of C-steel in 1 mol L−1 HCl increased as the extract concentration and temperature increased. The coffee extracts acted as a mixed-type inhibitor with predominant cathodic effectiveness. In this study, the adsorption process of components of spent coffee grounds extracts obeyed the Langmuir adsorption isotherm. The chlorogenic acids isolated do not seem to explain the corrosion inhibition observed during the use of the coffee extracts.
I can't imagine how this did not win the Ig-Noble prize in its year.
Sadly, the Iggies were not given this year due to COVID. I agree that it deserves the prize in Chemistry.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

I suppose the question would be if any of us flood our trombones with a 1 mol L - 1 HCl solution.

I'd also be curious as what constitutes "spent" coffee grounds, and what the researcher thinks is the mechanism that results in the observed effect.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

One feature of coffee grounds is an oil. My guess is that the oil forms a boundary layer on the metal parts that inhibits attack by acids. Note that coffee is also slightly acidic (I don't know which acid it is, but it's a nice weakly ionized organic acid). Weak organic acids don't attack metals like strong mineral acids like hydrochloric or sulfuric. Coca-cola is a special case since it contains phosphoric acid. Phosphoric acid acts as a protective layer on copper alloys. But the sugar in Coke will be a great medium for bacterial growth.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I think I'll just stick to water or black coffee at intermission breaks, and cleaning and thoroughly drying my trombone at day's end!
BurckhardtS

Post by BurckhardtS »

I love coffee... but don't drink it while I am playing.

For what it's worth, coffee is shown to have mild anti inflammatory effects. Coffee earlier in the day can sometimes make my chops feel maybe a little more loose. On the other hand though, most people don't drink nearly the amount of water they should to stay adequately hydrated, and being dehydrated is going to make your chops feel inconsistent and sticky anyway.
Shires - 7YM, TX, Axial, TW47 - Greg Black NY 1
YSL354 - XT LN106, C+, D3
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

After his retirement from the BSO, John Coffey ran a small music store around the corner from Symphony Hall / across the street from New England Conservatory of Music. In 1972, I needed an F-attachment trombone, and was referred to Mr. Coffey by Ron Barron. He invited me in and sent me upstairs to a small room where he told me to try anything in the store. (All Bachs and Conns then.) After giving them all a test drive, I selected a wonderful Conn 88H (hands-down outplayed the Bach 42Bs), which I still have and treasure. He then said that since I was a friend of Ron Barron, he would give me the courtesy of a "professional discount." The list price then for an 88H was $600. I purchased mine for $360 (+ 3% sales tax)! I still have the receipt. I'll never part with this trombone.

John Coffey was a wonderful and generous man, beloved by those who knew him. :good:
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Coffey was the bass trombonist of the BSO. Until his death, it seems every serious trombonist in New England took lessons from him. I moved to the Boston area a couple of years after his death so I never had a chance to meet him, but everybody around here tells funny stories about him.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
SimmonsTrombone

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

FWIW - cheap instant coffee with some Arm & Hammer washing soda make a good film developer. Add a little vitamin C and it’s more consistent.

Coffee is a strange substance.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

$360 for a brand new 88H...

Wonder what the elkies used to cost new?

Wonder what Lindberg paid for his Minnick, for that matter, too.

The inflation chart says it costs about the same now as it did back then, but dang.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

SimmonsTrombone wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:25 am FWIW - cheap instant coffee with some Arm & Hammer washing soda make a good film developer. Add a little vitamin C and it’s more consistent.

Coffee is a strange substance.
You'll never get me to part with my metol-hydroquinone :tongue:

Incidentally, Washing Soda (Sodium Carbonate) was used as a pH buffer in photographic developer solutions. It's pretty alkaline.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
spoink47

Post by spoink47 »

Howdy, pals
Just bumped into this thread and I kinda have an issue with coffee, but I don't think another thread is needed. I'm just here for your advice

So, cleaning the instrument after coffee is a complete mess I agree, but my problem is slightly another.
have anyone noticed a lack of breath after having a cup of coffee? Or am I the only one? I just feel like my playing is slightly different after I drink coffee (yeah, strange thing, I know). I tried to research and read some coffee related articles (like this). Still, I don't know if it's a health issue or just a coffee effect.

Looking forward to your replies! Thanks
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Coffee will raise your blood pressure. The effect is different for different people, but high blood pressure can result in problems in breath control.

Are you normally hypertensive (i.e. have high blood pressure)?

Does Decaf make less of an effect?
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
btone

Post by btone »

"Back in the days of black powder, there was a saying that "the sun never sets on a dirty gun"; black powder leaves quite a bit of residue and, while said residue isn't corrosive in and of itself, it does attract and retain moisture. If you didn't keep it clean, it wouldn't last - and that would cost you money, and could cost you your life."

I'm sorry I didn't see that anybody responded to this quote so I'll add my 2 cents. Black powder is corrosive and the residue has to be cleaned before you put your weapon up for the day, so the saying referenced is correct. Smokeless powder came on the scene about 1898 but corrosive mercuric primers were still prevalent for a couple more decades. You are unlikely to see bore corrosion damage in .22 rifles made after 1920, in my experience. A lot of ammunition from World War II still used corrosive primers; Berdan primers exhibit 2 flash holes inside the spent casing. Boxer primed ammo (1 flash hole) is not inherently corrosive.
christinavid

Post by christinavid »

I am a student and a huge coffee lover. For me this increases brainpower – The antioxidants in coffee, in moderation, have been linked to improved memory, and even preventing diseases like dementia. Improved focus – For many college students, caffeine keeps them alert for lectures and study time.
Lastbone

Post by Lastbone »

Eh... coffee, beer, whatever. Just remember that if you manage to wear out your horn, you are entitled to get a new one. My Elkhart bass has been suffering with me for 49 years now, and is still hanging in there.

And, in reply to one of the queries, a 73H cost $385 in 1973.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

Peggy Lee sings "Black Coffee"

Frank Sinatra, The Coffee Song

This sounds like one of those things Mitch Miller put him up to...

Garbage, Cup of Coffee

J.S. Bach Coffee Cantata
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie

Return to “Maintenance”