Thayer SOOOOO Noisy, what can i do.

conn88Hagmann

Thayer SOOOOO Noisy, what can i do.

Post by conn88Hagmann »

I have an Edwards double plug bass.

Love it.

But. . . . . . . the first valve is so noisy. The second is good.

It has the plastic mini-ball holders with the metal balls.

I use Paxman rotor and baring oil and have recently started to use some Hetman oil too.

Any advise gratefully received.
Bonearzt

Re: Thayer SOOOOO Noisy, what can i do.

Post by Bonearzt »

Could be the stop arms loose on the spindles, even with the screws tight.
Loose brace nuts, worn valve spindles, loose ball ends....

MANY reasons for noise!
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

conn88Hagmann wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:04 am I have an Edwards double plug bass.

Love it.

But. . . . . . . the first valve is so noisy. The second is good.

It has the plastic mini-ball holders with the metal balls.

I use Paxman rotor and baring oil and have recently started to use some Hetman oil too.

Any advise gratefully received.
Need more specifics. As Bonezart said the noise can come from many places.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

There's a whole lot of things that could cause the noise. Is it a clunking or a grinding noise? did you lubricate all hinge points, including the miniballs? How old is the bass?
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Something that I have seen quite a few times is hardened bumpers, particularly the rubber bumpers. Those rubber bumpers can get hard as steel in certain conditions. The most common culprit is leaving the trombone in your car on a constant basis. The extreme heat of summer plus/or the extreme cold of winter can make the rubber dry out and harden. Hard bumpers can create a lot noise.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Elow

Post by Elow »

Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:58 pm Something that I have seen quite a few times is hardened bumpers, particularly the rubber bumpers. Those rubber bumpers can get hard as steel in certain conditions. The most common culprit is leaving the trombone in your car on a constant basis. The extreme heat of summer plus/or the extreme cold of winter can make the rubber dry out and harden. Hard bumpers can create a lot noise.
Wow, thank you. It’s constantly 90+ degrees where i’m at and i’ve been wondering why my valves are getting clankier.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Elow wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:24 pm
Crazy4Tbone86 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:58 pm Something that I have seen quite a few times is hardened bumpers, particularly the rubber bumpers. Those rubber bumpers can get hard as steel in certain conditions. The most common culprit is leaving the trombone in your car on a constant basis. The extreme heat of summer plus/or the extreme cold of winter can make the rubber dry out and harden. Hard bumpers can create a lot noise.
Wow, thank you. It’s constantly 90+ degrees where i’m at and i’ve been wondering why my valves are getting clankier.
That's probably just oil evaporating. I had to oil mine every other day or so when it's hot.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
LeoInFL

Post by LeoInFL »

Maybe these might help:
https://store.edwards-instruments.com/p ... -arm-screw

I noticed that Edwards is now offering "Rod End Silencers" in their online store. They cost $2.80/each and they're sort of a rubber/metal washer. I ordered (2) for my tenor thinking that since I have (2) Metal Rod Ends I would need (2) of these Silencers. My linkage wasn't noisy to begin with but I thought 'why not'. I tried installing both but the action would get really bad, binding and sticking - slow to return to the 'open' position. I ended up removing the Silencer from the Rod End closest to the valve and all is well. Do they work?? I don't notice a difference, but they may help you. Looking at the design, I think the purpose is to reduce the amount of 'rattle' when you quickly engage/release the linkage. You have a metal ball inside a metal 'hip joint' (Rod End) so it's stands to reason they will make some noise whenever you initiate movement or abruptly halt it (against a bumper). You would think that the bearing oil would 'suspend' in those open tolerances, but these Silencers are meant to reduce the rattle. Pure speculation on my part. YMMV
LeoInFL
Getzen 4047DS :
~Bousfield S
~Conn 5G | Edwards .525"
Olds P-24G : G&W Mark-1 | Wessex .555"
Melton 41 F Cimbasso : DE CB S118_L*_L16Am
Holton 77 Fr Horn : Laskey 825G

CFCA Symphony Orch
(2016-present)
pmeiden

Post by pmeiden »

Start with making sure the spindle nut is indeed tight. Just a little bit loose can cause the stop arm to make noise (at least on my F-valve)

Return to “Maintenance”