Berp Bio Lube

SKAzz

Berp Bio Lube

Post by SKAzz »

Hi all.
Has anyone tried this stuff?

https://www.hornguys.com/collections/sl ... and-slides

I'm not a lover of yamasnot, or SOM with my Rath. I currently have the Trombotine/Superslick combo and it works pretty well. Just wondering if there's another better?
bbocaner

Re: Berp Bio Lube

Post by bbocaner »

I use it. It's not the absolute fastest stuff ever, but it lasts a long time and doesn't dry up and harden into a big mess like silicone lubricants like SOM, yamaha, or superslick do.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Now sold out at HornGuys!
SKAzz

Post by SKAzz »

bbocaner wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:22 am I use it. It's not the absolute fastest stuff ever, but it lasts a long time and doesn't dry up and harden into a big mess like silicone lubricants like SOM, yamaha, or superslick do.
this is why i don't love the SOM/Yamah stuff. I dont seem to have issues with the tiny bit of superslick silicone on top of trombotine i use, just wondered if this was better than what I've got.

thanks for the info all.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

bbocaner wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:22 am ... it lasts a long time and doesn't dry up and harden into a big mess like silicone lubricants like SOM, yamaha, or superslick do.
I have been using Yamaha and Slide-O-Mix lubricants (followed by a light spray of distilled water) for YEARS and have NEVER had them "dry up and harden."

What's the difference? My trombones? My lubricating technique? The climate where I live? Pure luck? Or the fact that I meticulously swab and clean my inner and outer slides regularly (at least every few days), removing the old lubricant (which wipes off easily) completely, and storing the slide dry in its case until I use it again?

I'm sticking with these excellent lubricants until I find something better.
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner »

Posaunus wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:40 am Or the fact that I meticulously swab and clean my inner and outer slides regularly (at least every few days), removing the old lubricant (which wipes off easily) completely, and storing the slide dry in its case until I use it again?
It's probably that. I try to do the same, but with nine or ten trombones that I play regularly invariably one gets put away without being cleaned off after a gig or practice session and when I pull it out again it's an absolute nightmare.
So for me it became easier to use something that maybe wasn't quite as slick but is easier to deal with.
bbocaner

Post by bbocaner »

I have heard of people who have good luck with a drop of yamaha stuff or silicone on top of the berp bio-lube. It works well enough for me alone, but it's worth a shot if you're looking for the ultimate. The key is to use just the tiniest bit...
SKAzz

Post by SKAzz »

Posaunus wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:40 am
bbocaner wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:22 am ... it lasts a long time and doesn't dry up and harden into a big mess like silicone lubricants like SOM, yamaha, or superslick do.
I have been using Yamaha and Slide-O-Mix lubricants (followed by a light spray of distilled water) for YEARS and have NEVER had them "dry up and harden."

What's the difference? My trombones? My lubricating technique? The climate where I live? Pure luck? Or the fact that I meticulously swab and clean my inner and outer slides regularly (at least every few days), removing the old lubricant (which wipes off easily) completely, and storing the slide dry in its case until I use it again?

I'm sticking with these excellent lubricants until I find something better.
could be lots of different things. ymmv is sort of the standard for us, no? I didn't think these were better in regards to slickness than trombotine/silicone combo. but it could be placebo. I did have it dry on my backup horn that was a little odd to me. wasn't tragic just odd to have that extra sludge that wasn't there. makes sense about wiping it out after a gig. I just wondered if anyone had experience with this other stuff.
Klimchak

Post by Klimchak »

You can order it directly from the manufacturer. Though I occasionally still use the yamaha stuff, I like the berp biolube as well as their other oils for my valved instruments.

Return to “Maintenance”