Slide Maintenance

SaigonSlide

Slide Maintenance

Post by SaigonSlide »

Hello folks. I feel like an idiot posing this question to everyone, as I think I have a pretty good idea how to maintain my slides. Just as background, I've been playing for 30+ years and studied in college.

However, with that said, I bought an old King 3b from 1957. Beautiful horn. I'm the second owner. The first owner was a band instructor that bought the horn just to have one around. He really didn't play it much at all other than to clean it once a year. After that it was put back in the alligator case and into the closet. So basically, this beauty just sat there for 50 years.

To me, King slides feel heavier than others so they aren't as light and fast like some others just by their nature. This slide was I'd say 8.5/10 when I first got it. Just a bit scratchy in 6-7 position. I gave it a good cleaning after i brought it home. The slide was actually really clean to begin with. Since then I've been playing it regularly.

I always treat it the same when I re lube it: run cheesecloth on rod in the outer slides. I use trombontine, just a bit on the sleeves and work it on the entire slide. Run inner slides on outers a lot. Remove the cream from inners and put on a few drops of silicon on both sleeves. Run the inners again and then I'm good. I usually don't have to use much water at all.

The slide though is just worse than it was after only a year. There haven't been any accidents. I do the same lube routine. I wash the horn out every few weeks. I do use an old reunion blues leather gig bag, but I've always used that and can't imagine the slide is affected. Most of the time the horn is on a stand in my room. I did use a plain white vinegar soak on the outer slide last week and really gave it a good wipe out with the rod/cloth. Not much better.

I just wonder if it's something I'm doing when I play the horn. Like torque the slide when I"m moving it or something. Do slides need to be examined by a tech every so often? Do I need to focus on how I'm holding the horn more?
harrisonreed

Re: Slide Maintenance

Post by harrisonreed »

My Edwards slide kept getting worse and worse doing the exact thing you describe, and just as the Edwards instructions suggest. Switched to well shaken Yamaha snot recently and the problem was instantly solved...
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

I'll bet the outer tubes need to be internally polished after a thorough cleaning! And the outer surface of the inner slide tubes usually need a good buffing to remove the oxidation

Also, I find that using MORE cream than you think is beneficial to a slick slide. The excess can be wiped off, but enough needs to be applied to thoroughly coat the inside of the outers!
AND a HEAVY douse of water helps, not the thin mist from most spray bottles!!

Eric
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I would suggest maybe getting some professional help for your slides. Some slides just over time get themselves out of alignment, and it's hard to tell at times. Also there can just be some stubborn oxidation on the inside of the slide, or even really dried out lubricant.

King 3b Slides, especially those with oversleeves, are kinda heavy, but not remarkably so.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

It's probably not your maintenance / slide lube routine. I'd take the trombone to a GOOD trombone slide tech (probably not at your local music store) for a chemical cleaning and slide realignment. You may be amazed at the results.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

I’ve played a 3b (from ‘72) for the last 15 years and ive found that with the slide it can be anything. In the time I’ve been playing my horn I’ve had to replace both slide stockings. It was getting to the point that there were so many minor dents in the stockings that I just couldn’t get smooth. I did one stocking at a time because it was kind of pricey, especially since I was in college at the time. I think each stocking+labor was around $125-200. I can’t remember. But since replacing those my slide has been in great shape!

It’s also possible you have some slight damage to the outer tubes and don’t know it. I have a Yamaha that the slide is great when first lined and within a couple of days goes to crap because the outer is damaged and needs to be replaced.

Not sure if that’s your issue, but a good tech will be able to diagnose it pretty easily.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
jazztonight

Post by jazztonight »

I am a total newbie trombonist. I have a BA in music composition, play the piano and flute, and have written for trombone and concert band. But I never held a trombone or tried to play one until a few of months ago!

When I mentioned to an older trombonist in the concert band I play flute in that I've always wanted to play trombone, he said, "I've got a trombone you can have." Wow! He brought it the following week and gifted it to me. I've been learning to play it (on my own) for a couple of months now, and coming along.

When I examined the stockings (first I had to learn what the stockings were) I saw corrosion and panicked. Well, it's a 1935 Conn according to the serial number, and I brought it into the repair shop today. The technician was really cool, calmed me down, buffed the ruff spots, lubed the slides, and recommended Trombotine. He said this happens with old horns. He told me how to take care of it and didn't charge me anything!

I recommend everyone start playing a new instrument, even the trombone, when they reach their early 70s. Works for me.

Also, I'm glad I found this site. Thanks to everyone who posts.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

Return to “Maintenance”