Suggestions on DE Bass Bone MP

EZSlider

Suggestions on DE Bass Bone MP

Post by EZSlider »

Hey there,
Looking in to trying out DE parts for a bass bone setup. I currently play on a Bach 50A3 and Wick 1al heritage.
I play a lot of small venues and am usually the only low brass going on. Just looking for a starting point.
If anyone has any used DE bass gear they want to let go I am interested.
EZ
TheBoneRanger

Re: Suggestions on DE Bass Bone MP

Post by TheBoneRanger »

With most mouthpieces, but with Doug’s in particular, you’re best to decide what rim size you’re best suited to, and then choose a cup shape to best match your sound concept.

A Wick 1AL likely be comparable to something like an LB110/J/J8.

As always, Doug will have the best advice when it comes to his gear.

Andrew
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

Thank you very much for the intell.. Yeah still waiting to hear back from Doug... Only been a few days though.
EZ
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Doug is on the road at the moment, till the end of the week. Be patient. He will get back to you!

Matthew
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Depends on what your want... I can't remember what size a 1AL but I'm sure you're looking to stay 1 1/4 size or smaller.

Doug's LB112 rim, K cup, K8 shank is a killer 1 1/4 sized piece. Don't worry about it being "LB" just means the cup diameter is a little different and the LB size works better than the MB size for 1 1/4 sized stuff.

Doug's MB108 rim (true 1 1/2 rim) or 109 rim (slightly larger), J cup, J8 shank is a killer 1 1/2 sized piece. This is a true 1 1/2 and plays great.

Doug's MB 110 rim, J or J+ cup, J8 or J9 or equivalent K shank would make for a killer 1 3/8 sized piece.

Just depends on what you're looking for. I recommend both the 108 MB setup and 112 LB, I've personally used both pieces and been very pleased. I tried some of the in between 109 and 110 stuff before but it was larger than what I was looking for in a 1 1/2 sized piece... I've never been the biggest fan of 1 3/8 sized pieces.

I'd recommend not going down to an SB size either... and I'm sure Doug would recommend the same thing. The series is basically like a 2G or smaller sized 1 1/2 style cup. Works great for small setups but I found the SB setup as a 1 1/2 didn't play as well as the identical setup in the MB series.

Also... personally I don't like Doug 9 shank. Not sure why. Some people dig it though!!! His 8 and 8.5 are great on smaller pieces and his 10 shank is amazing in the L and M cup sizes. Yeah, I like the 10 but not the 9 haha.

Doug also makes different versions of most of his cups, shanks and rims. So if you're specific with what you're looking for he can help you out.

Send me a PM if you're interested in a MB setup. I bought a setup from Doug last year that I love but I recently flipped over to a Symington piece and my Elliott setup is sitting in my drawer unloved. I have an MB108 lexan rim, MB J* cup, J8 and a second shank which is a J8.5 shank. I'll probably use the funds to buy a LT setup from Doug haha.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

Thank you very much for the info, very very helpful. I will be patient.

Return to “Mouthpieces”