UMI/CKB 1-1/4H and that mouthpiece line

MoominDave

UMI/CKB 1-1/4H and that mouthpiece line

Post by MoominDave »

A few years ago I, fired by an enjoyment of a "CKB 1-1/2G" mouthpiece supplied with a new Conn trombone (2007), but preferring something a little larger, managed to find online after some searching the mouthpiece catalogue that listed it, which contained a full range of versions of the usual sizes, but was rather oddly hidden-away on their website - they weren't drawing attention to it at all. From this I purchased a 1-1/4H, which is a rather V-shaped and open 1-1/4 piece, one that I find myself enjoying a great deal right now on the trombone I use these days (Holton 169). This mouthpiece is not stamped "CKB" (which I was told at the time stood for "Conn-King-Benge"), but rather "UMI", Conn-Selmer's pre-2003 conglomerate name. The "H" is an unusual designation, reminiscent of one of their absorbed brands - was it Benge that also listed a 1-1/4H once upon a time? I forget.

I've just been looking again for that catalogue on the Conn-Selmer website, without any luck - the Bach mouthpiece catalogue seems to be the only one that they list - but they still supply new Conn trombones with their 'Conn-y' 1-1/2G alternative, right? These have a rather different outer shape - a bit Wick-like - and the samples I've run across have tended to blow a bit more openly than their Bach equivalents.

So - anyone know if they still sell that range? And if they do, whether they make the catalogue available, online or by other means?
Dave Taylor
(not to be confused with other Dave Taylors...)
bassclef

Re: UMI/CKB 1-1/4H and that mouthpiece line

Post by bassclef »

MoominDave wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:33 am The "H" is an unusual designation, reminiscent of one of their absorbed brands - was it Benge that also listed a 1-1/4H once upon a time? I forget.
Yes, it was. I have one stamped Benge which has the "traditional" outer shape.

If I'm not mistaken, in the catalogs of the time (WW&BW, Giardinelli, etc) it was listed with some association to George Roberts' name. The also described the H cup as being deeper than the G cup. You know, for a more teutonic sound.

I have a few friends who work in the current Eastlake, OH factory who I can ask, but I'm almost positive that the CKB line has long been discontinued. Conn-Selmer only produces Bach mouthpieces for brass currently.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I also have a Benge 1.25H and love it.

And also believe that the CKB line is gone.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
30hzbone

Post by 30hzbone »

Bach 42B corporation 1980
Getzen 3062AF + R
Besson Sovereign baritone horn
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

One thing to remember about mystery pieces like this is they weren't made with very high consistency and depending on when it was made it could even be before the switch to CNC machine... making finding a similar playing piece almost impossible.

While you may have found a good one another example might just be absolute trash.

One of the best 1 1/2G pieces I have ever played on is a pre CNC era Getzen 1 1/2 I have. A complete fluke the mouthpiece plays as well as it does.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
MoominDave

Post by MoominDave »

bassclef wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:38 pm If I'm not mistaken, in the catalogs of the time (WW&BW, Giardinelli, etc) it was listed with some association to George Roberts' name. The also described the H cup as being deeper than the G cup. You know, for a more teutonic sound.

I have a few friends who work in the current Eastlake, OH factory who I can ask, but I'm almost positive that the CKB line has long been discontinued. Conn-Selmer only produces Bach mouthpieces for brass currently.
It was my impression when I bought this mouthpiece that ordering one wasn't a usual thing to do - it was (as mentioned) difficult to find the catalogue, and then difficult to work out how to make the order; I wondered at the time if they were simply running down old stock - this was circa 2010. I would be interested to know whether it is still possible to purchase pieces from that range, but don't go to any trouble on my behalf - it's more curiosity than anything else. Though if there are some lying around, I could maybe be tempted to purchase a spare.

"Teutonic" :mrgreen:

Odd it may have been a George Roberts design connection - normally GR signatures start 1-1/2G and go wider at the rim rather than deeper in the cup, which is perhaps the defining characteristic of this piece. But they're all pretty open like this one. I'd be interested to know. Designwise it feels like somebody actually worked out how to make a 1-1/4GM a usable mouthpiece.
Last edited by MoominDave on Wed May 15, 2019 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dave Taylor
MoominDave

Post by MoominDave »

30hzbone wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:20 am Some info
https://gmedia.gewamusic.com/external/f ... /38499.pdf
Good find! Your Google-fu is stronger than mine. How did you find this link? Do Gewa still sell all of these pieces? It looks like they retail at least a limited selection on a quick look: https://gb.gewamusic.com/products/858/m ... &mode=grid
Dave Taylor
30hzbone

Post by 30hzbone »

On SwEnglish:
i have bought some umi/Cbk mouthpieces from Mouthpiece Express via Ebay
you can get them a call, maybe they have some left.
Getzen 3062AF + R
MoominDave

Post by MoominDave »

Thanks for the tip
Dave Taylor
Nobbi

Post by Nobbi »

Sorry for digging up this thread again, was on my search (again) for more information about King mouthpieces but it looks like, they never existed when it comes to official papers.

I just shot a King 1 1/4H ... to train my embouchure especially for the lower register (need to slow down my lip vibrations and airflow).
I see this mouthpiece also as a start for my future plans to get a Duo Gravis or adequate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
30hzbone

Post by 30hzbone »

Like this? :good:
20210103_202456.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Getzen 3062AF + R

Return to “Mouthpieces”